When to lift Alocasia

sanatic1234

When to lift Alocasia

Post by sanatic1234 »

Hi, i am wondering what part of autum/winter i should lift my alocasia calidora? is it october or november?
Any advice more than welcome. :D
sanatic1234

Re: When to lift Alocasia

Post by sanatic1234 »

Anyone got any advice? :lol:
grub

Post by grub »

It's difficult to give an answer San, you need to watch the weather; I know plenty have lifted Maurelli already and I'd bring in Collies and Alocasias before then. As it stands at the minute, I've not bought anything in but probably will start digging and moving next weekend as it gives me a time buffer if it does get nasty at the end of the month icon_thumright . Of course that said, they'll only come up onto the deck and only come in when the temps will be staying below 10C.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

would i be able to keep the height if i lifted it this week, potted into a small pot then took it inside? i read a post saying that alocasia's like to be under potted as it provides better top growth. I would really like to keep the height it i can? is it possible to cut them back like ensete's to make a trunk?
grub

Post by grub »

San, rule number one; don't ask me about Collies and Alocasias :lol: . If I get them through the winter it's luck and by far my best grower is the one out in the garden and completely ignored :roll: (but I have proved it's hardy :lol: )
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

:lol: Ok then grub, thanks for your advice any way though. icon_thumright
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I think it will have to be a case of trial and error, I will lift it this week and pot up in a small pot and take indoors, if it dies then i know that is the wrong way. :lol: :lol:
Sat

Post by Sat »

This is my Colocasia which need lifting before the winter.

How should I go about lifting it, the danger of cutting roots etc? Its the first time I will have ever done any lifting?

Also will it be ok as stated before to put in pot and leave in the Garage over winter to maintain the height or does it need to be in the house?
Attachments
SDC14364.JPG