Alocasia odora going yellow

nicebutdim

Alocasia odora going yellow

Post by nicebutdim »

I brought in my odora from outside two weeks ago and it's now going yellow.I was worried about it rotting outside so I planted it in almost pure gravel.It's now indoors at 60 degrees .I watered it yesterday as it was dry,could this be the problem or does it need a good feed
countrylover

Re: Alocasia odora going yellow

Post by countrylover »

The lack of light may be the cause of its yellowing. Plant seems to be going dormant for the winter so I'd certainly not feed it. Shorter days give the plants that signal - "hey guys winter's approaching you'd better get ready for it".
If you don't see any mould and signs of wilting just leave it in peace. Just remember at 15C it does not need much water do not let it dry it out completely.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I don't want to hijack your topic nicebutdim but i also have a alocasia that is concerning me but it is a calidora. I notice one of my leafs have started to flop over? it has only happened on the one big leaf? i watered 2 days ago but still no change? any suggestions? Has your odora done that nicebutdim?
nicebutdim

Post by nicebutdim »

sanatic1234 wrote:I don't want to hijack your topic nicebutdim but i also have a alocasia that is concerning me but it is a calidora. I notice one of my leafs have started to flop over? it has only happened on the one big leaf? i watered 2 days ago but still no change? any suggestions? Has your odora done that nicebutdim?

No,It hasn't flopped over but the leaves are going yellow,which is not a good sign.I notice a number of alocasias shown here are a nice dark green colour but mine have never achieved a dark green colour even in sumer.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

Hmm that is strange mate, did you give it a good feed in the summer? mine is still a nice dark green colour but can't explain the leaf flop? My washingtonia robusta is turning yellow, i know its totally different plant but strange still?
nicebutdim

Post by nicebutdim »

sanatic1234 wrote:Hmm that is strange mate, did you give it a good feed in the summer? mine is still a nice dark green colour but can't explain the leaf flop? My washingtonia robusta is turning yellow, i know its totally different plant but strange still?
No
that could be the problem,I have had a few alocasias rot away so to compensate I used almost pure gravel to plant them and having been left in the ground for a month while I was away,they got no food.What compost and feed do you use as I've never been able to get a nice dark green colour on my alocaias or colocasias.The leaf flop seems to be rot, I've got a calidora that's been outside for three years now and while last year knocked it down in survived and still looks healthy with a few large pups around it.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I use levingtons MP compost and add plent of perlite, say 50/50 of each, i then use miracle grow or even tomate feed on it and its done really well for its first year. But my Alocasia calidora don't look good now as its been attacked by green flys and has suffered. BADLY
here it is now when i checked it this morning.
Attachments
Attacked Alocasia calidora.jpg
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Did you get this sorted ? as I have one doing the same.....
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

They don't keep as many leaves over winter so if the lower ones yellow I cut them off and remove the petiole back to the rhizome. If you leave cut petioles on they go mushy and can induce rot. :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by derrick »

Mine also a little yellow but to be expected with the weather greenfly love the leaves tucked inside conservatory today
Attachments
DSCF3139.JPG