bamboo choice

Tom2006

Re: bamboo choice

Post by Tom2006 »

How hardy is that one Jacko?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
jacko

Post by jacko »

around -18C.Mine has handled the last two winters no problem.first to shoot in spring and has sized up quite quickly.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I have Fargesia robusta Campbell and about a quarter of the leaves have been burnt from the cold weather we have had.

However, it was only planted last Spring and it was one of Jungle Giants big specimens - it looked a bit tatty, but the 80 litre pot was absolutely full of roots, so I am hoping that it has been mostly been concentrating its efforts into getting settled into the ground in readiness for a fine show this Spring (that's the theory anyway!)
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Adam, I was recently casting envious eyes over a picture of 'Campbell' on the Kimmei website. It is a beauty so i hope yours survives and thrives.
Andy
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

AndyC wrote:Adam, I was recently casting envious eyes over a picture of 'Campbell' on the Kimmei website. It is a beauty so i hope yours survives and thrives.
Thanks Andy :)

I can see it from where I am currently sitting and I must admit that it looks rather tatty, but it is certainly still alive.
Simba

Post by Simba »

jacko wrote:around -18C.Mine has handled the last two winters no problem.first to shoot in spring and has sized up quite quickly.
To digress a little - Most of my bamboo looks in great condition here, despite minus 14.
Ph.Nigra
Ph.Vivax Aureo
Ph.Huangwenzhu
Ph.Spectabilis
Ph.Aurea
Ps.Japonica
Xh.Shiroshima
Fa.Jiuzhaigou

The strugglers
Borinda Papyrifera topkilled
Indocalamus Latifolius looking terrible
jacko

Post by jacko »

got some bad browning on my p.vivax aureocaulis from the cold but the huanvenzhu looks fine i think its slightly hardier than the aureocaulis.apart from that the same as you simba.
Ali

Post by Ali »

Gardening in , relativley , cold Sweden , although our location here on the westcoast is one of the milder ares , I can for pure hardiness recommend Phyllostachys Bissetii , I´m quite convinced that it is the hardiest Phyllostachys , I also cultivate P.japonica but it gets severly burnt after hard winters , comes back though.

Maybe you want a clumber , the Fargesia ssp. Jiuzhaigou is hardy here in zone 7a , although a zone 7 we can have quite long periods of subzero weather.

Good luck with your choice.

Ali , Hisingen.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i think i like the look of arrow bamboo but i can't decide if i need to worry about it spreading too much.
jacko

Post by jacko »

Pseudosasa japonica or arrow bamboo has the dreaded 'sasa' word in it.it'll spread like wildfire if your not vigilant with it.mines in a pot and its staying in a pot.bloke round here has one in the ground that has completely gone out of control he's having a nightmare trying to get rid of it.also this species has escaped round here and can be seen in the wild.take a look at jungle giants website they've got some great choice there with descriptions.
Ali

Post by Ali »

Even here the P.japonica can be quite vigilant , depends on the local climate , Bissetii is more of a slow starter but when it states " Well , I kind of approve this place " it gets very vigilant.
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

Fargesia scabrida would be my choice for an attractive clumper - dark culms like the nitida forms - but more suitable for exposed positions. I've grown it for 3 years and its sailed through this winter and last with virtually no leaf burn - (I'm up in Northumberland ...seriously chilly!).

The original plant has been divided a couple of times - I now have 6-7 large plants - the biggest of which is around 7-8ft.
garden oct 10 10 080.JPG
:D

edited to add;

Both of my Borindas top killed Simba.... :(
papyrifera and albocera(Yunnan 3b)

Laz
jacko

Post by jacko »

good choice laz,nice specimen too
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

just been down to B&Q , they have just got in fresh big bamboos.

they had arrow for £40, that usual p.au..something for £30 and another one that i can't remember.

if that helps anybody, i'm going to order mine online since it will be easier than lugging them home on a bus.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

bump!

i have decided on getting arrow bamboo.
i was going to get two bigger pots and let it spread.
now i have decided to go for more 5 litre pots and get a more instant screen effect.

where has the best prices for 5 ltr pots of Pseudosasa japonica? (with some height, not at ground level)

how many plants would i need for a strip 1foot by about 3-4metres?
i know eventually 1 plant would cover that on its own so what will happen with a few competing over the space?

the ground where these are going used to be rubbish and weeds before we dug it over and covered with a plastic sheet and 4-5 inches of gravel.

some japanese knotweed still occasionally pops up between the wall and the gravel ,
where these bamboos will be going.
i am going to try and dig into the ground and fish out any left over knot weed but if i miss any who would win in a fight between knotweed and pseudosasa?