Chusquea culeou winter damage

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Chusquea culeou winter damage

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Not sure if you have read this from another thread but,

This year I have lost (had removed) 3 large eucalypts (one over 60 ft tall), 2 beautiful acacias (subalpina dealbata [45 ft tall] & pravissima) three of my best bamboos including a 250 plus culm stand of chusquea gigantea (a small clump remains) some smaller tree ferns (my largest 2 specimens are intact) & a large number of large European fan palms

Losing such a huge plant must have been gut-wrenching.
jacko

Post by jacko »

ooh yeah horrible to lose a ch. gigantea.that is a shame.i'd like to have one of these but i've got no room for one.and again its a hardiness issue.theres one not to far from here about 20 miles away according to jungle giants thats 10 meters tall i wonder how its coped with last winter.
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

fingers crossed the Borinda comes back Jacko! You did have some very cold temperatures though. Still time, its only just May. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
jacko

Post by jacko »

cheers tom like you say its only may.
Simba

Post by Simba »

jacko wrote:just the borinda to worry about now,no life on it at all yet. :roll:
Barely a flicker with mine too Jacko, 4 or 5 new leaves lower down, is the only evidence that it is still alive... :cry:
jacko

Post by jacko »

4 or 5 leaves is a good sign simba thats how mine started to come back last year.this year so far theres not even one leaf.
Simba

Post by Simba »

I think I will grow the Borinda on in a pot for a year or two, and see how it likes that..
jacko

Post by jacko »

yeah you could try that but dont dig it now if theres signs of life. it'll shoot soon probably,best do it in the autumn now when its a small bush again.
jacko

Post by jacko »

update for you my chusquea has bounced back really well with plenty of new foliage and loads of new culms.
Attachments
DSCF6081.JPG
DSCF6089.JPG
DSCF6114.JPG
jacko

Post by jacko »

well the mildish winter has paid off with no damage to my Chusquea culeou its greeted me with this amazing thick culm.
Attachments
DSCF7324.JPG
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Nice one. No movement on my culeou yet but have 6 shoots on the gigantea. icon_cheers
jacko

Post by jacko »

i bet they are big :lol: have you got a photo of your gigantea kris and is it contained or out in the ground because thats one big bamboo youve got on your hands.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

jacko wrote:i bet they are big :lol: have you got a photo of your gigantea Kris and is it contained or out in the ground because that's one big bamboo you've got on your hands.

Unfortunately it's in a large tub. If I haven't moved before autumn then I will need to re-pot. :roll:

Its still a young plant so the culms are just pencil thick.
jacko

Post by jacko »

i wish i had space for one,deep rhizomes apparently.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

jacko wrote:i wish i had space for one,deep rhizomes apparently.
I will find out when I re pot or plant out.