fargesia robusta shooting in february!

jacko

Re: fargesia robusta shooting in february!

Post by jacko »

its also one way of killing a bamboo,if you cut all the culms to the ground and wait untill it sends new culms up.let them grow until they are about to leaf out then cut them again to the ground.keep doing this as new culms appear and you will eventually deplete the energy reserves in the rhizomes underground and they will die.it'll take a while but eventually the bamboo will die.also if you prune more than a third of the topgrowth, the following seasons culms will be smaller.this is a way of keeping a bamboo dwarfed in size.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I was having a look at my robusta today and it is still sending up new culms, albeit at a much reduced rate.

The first ones are now approaching 8 foot high. Not as high as Jacko's, but I am still very pleased with how it is performing this year - just need to get rid of all of the dead leaves on it now and I will be :D
jacko

Post by jacko »

mine looks like its topped out now at 12ft but i've lost about a foot on 6 culms due to wind breakage.at the bottom there are 12 culms aborted out of 50 altogether.but like adam i'm well pleased with its performance this year.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

It's always a bit sad when the culms get snapped off due to the wind.

It has been windy up here over the last 3 or 4 days, but thankfully my culms are on the thin side with not much weight to them and as a result they seem to be fairing okay at the moment. Still no aborted culms either :)