p.a. spectabilis culms

jacko

Re: p.a. spectabilis culms

Post by jacko »

this spectabilis has 50 culms (curiously the same as f.robusta).the other only has about 12 culms and much more of a clumping appearance to it heres a pic of the other one.
Attachments
DSCF5520.JPG
jezza

Post by jezza »

Since i last posted on this thread mine has since pushed up 19 culms, the tallest now 6 feet.
jacko

Post by jacko »

have you got a photo of it jezza?
jacko

Post by jacko »

the curious thing about this species is that every now and then the odd culm likes to go zig zag or change angle of direction altogether .this one was right angles this morning,i thought it had broken.but no it decided overnight to change direction.i cant let it go right angle into the chusquea on the left so i've redirected it up a different angle with a tie and while its still soft.
Attachments
DSCF5554.JPG
DSCF5555.JPG
jezza

Post by jezza »

jacko wrote:have you got a photo of it jezza?
boo1.JPG
boo2.JPG
jacko

Post by jacko »

nice one icon_thumleft looks like yours has gone walkies a bit too.its going for the compost bin :lol:
jezza

Post by jezza »

I want it to go walkies in that direction to fill out that corner.
jacko

Post by jacko »

looks really healthy i reckon a few more years it'll certainly fill that corner.
jezza

Post by jezza »

When i moved in i noticed the previous tenants had been using that area for bonfires, blackened and loads of ash. I dug that ash into the soil. It's my fastest growing boo so maybe that's what makes it so fast.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

If wood ash is good, i got loads stored from the woodburner. I'll put a couple of handfuls in when i dig mine in.
jacko

Post by jacko »

in small amounts its good because of the potash in it but too much can alter the ph of the soil too much towards alkalinity because of the lime in it.urine (diluted with water) with wood ash is a really good natural fertilizer the urine nutralizes the alkalinity of the wood ash and provides nitrogen.
jezza

Post by jezza »

My soil has a mix of flint and clay on the top but chalk 2 feet down. There is a layer of old roof tiles which i have to dig through every time i plant something. This layer divides the clay and chalk. So i have two types of soil.
jacko

Post by jacko »

the zig zag thing has gone crazy at the moment,some have even broken off by bending too far.
Attachments
DSCF5578.JPG
DSCF5583.JPG
DSCF5594.JPG
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

^^^^

I see what you mean about the zig zag thing having gone crazy!

In the last shot is that two culms that have snapped due to the zig zagging?

My tall clump has sent up two culms so far :lol:

One is about 2 inches high and within the existing clump and the other is about a foot away and getting on for a foot tall.
jacko

Post by jacko »

yeah it is adam,shame but there you go.weird behaviour though dont you think. icon_scratch