phyllostachys nigra maturing

jacko

phyllostachys nigra maturing

Post by jacko »

my phyllostachys nigra has now entered its 8th year in the ground.this years new culms are a lot bigger than ever before.i have got used to culms being around a half inch in diameter for years and was'nt expecting anything different this year.over the last week or so some new culms are emerging which are a lot fatter.it looks like its finally breaking out of its juvenile stage.its canopy has been 12ft wide and 16ft high for a few years.these new culms could hit the 20ft mark this year.
Attachments
24.04.11.10p on the ground
24.04.11.10p on the ground
Darlo Mark

Re: phyllostachys nigra maturing

Post by Darlo Mark »

Fantastic, I've got some young uns that I'm using as a screen. Are yours in the ground? Love those stems and you're got to get some whoppers this year! More pics please if you get chance! icon_thumleft
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

sorry read your post again drunken_smilie1 Yes they are in the ground1
jacko

Post by jacko »

some more pics for you.
Attachments
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

is that a ten pence piece?
yes they are quite fat. icon_thumleft
jacko

Post by jacko »

yes it is a 10p
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

looking great! :D
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

That's another very healthy looking bamboo Jacko.

Mine has been in the ground for about the same length of time and I won't bore you with comparing growth rates as you know what I am going to say.

To be honest, I am quite glad that mine has not grown at the same rate as yours has or it would almost be too big for its allotted space.
jacko

Post by jacko »

i'm lucky its clumped well,but i didnt think it was going to size up like this here in mid wales.i suppose the more mature it is the hardier it is.heres a couple of pics with a 2p piece in case you thought the last one was a 5p not a 10p :lol:
Attachments
DSCF5396.JPG
DSCF5398.JPG
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

WOW that is a beauty!
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Simba

Post by Simba »

That is one truly impressive Nigra Jacko... icon_thumleft
jacko

Post by jacko »

thanks everyone its hard to convey the sheer biomass of this plant in photos i've just been out with the tape measure and its 14ft at its widest tapering down to a 3ft base.16ft high but thats about to change with those new fat culms.god help me if i ever have to move :lol:
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Jacko
i repotted a nigra clump on the weekend. Gave it a good dose of liquid chicken poo and a bit of water in the evenings. There were no new culms showing. Seeing your spectabalis i went and had a look around my nigra...........2 new 8"culms , not as impressive as yours but its a start i guess
Attachments
DSC01254 [800x600].jpg
DSC01255 [800x600].jpg
jacko

Post by jacko »

they look great,its responded fast to the chicken poo and water if it was only repotted last weekend.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

It used to be part of a very big clump, Cathy's (Bristol). About 15ft high if i remember correctly.