Such thing as a hardy evergreen bamboo for large pot?

Rachelpalm

Such thing as a hardy evergreen bamboo for large pot?

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
I do not know anything about bamboos. Is there a hardy bamboo that can be grown in a large pot or long trough which is evergreen and does not get too tall? Say no more than about 2 meters tall? Or can you cut back bamboo ok ? Do the cut down stems just shoot up again?

Thanks for your replies

Cheers
jacko

Re: Such thing as a hardy evergreen bamboo for large pot?

Post by jacko »

for one that is around 2 metres i can suggest 'fargesia rufa' which can grow well in a pot and you wont need to cut it down.feed it well and dont let it dry out,dont let the pot freeze up in winter and dont drown it with too much water and you should have a nice specimen in a few years.hope this helps :D
worzsel

Post by worzsel »

I'm planning on a bamboo hedge in a trough for the bottom of my garden. i'm going to use pseudosasa japonica as apparently it can be clipped in to a hedge style at what ever hight you want. I'm getting a huge trough made by a local carpenter, I recon 2ft by 2 ft ought to be enough < hopefully anyway!>
jezza

Post by jezza »

I have a pseudosasa japonica planted in a rubber dustbin, sat outside throughout winter unprotected and left to it's own devices, 6 new culms growing this month. Don't put this plant in the ground though unless you're prepared to put down some serious root barrier!
Rachelpalm

Post by Rachelpalm »

Hello
thanks for all your replies. I have just seen a large metal trough on the www which would look great with bamboo in it.

http://www.mcveighparker.com/mcvp_store ... ductId=423

very tempted icon_thumright
jezza

Post by jezza »

Would need to drill a few holes in the bottom for drainage.