some bamboo pictures

The Codfather

Re: some bamboo pictures

Post by The Codfather »

OK so I have some small bamboo's in pots ready to plant out this year all being well. At the moment there are lodas of fine, thin canes in the pots......are you meant to this these out so there are only a few better one's to promote them to growing thicker\stronger ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
jacko

Post by jacko »

if they are small plants then dont prune yet until a few years in the ground.if there are obviously some dead canes and dead branches you can prune them off.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

icon_thumright
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

jacko wrote:check out yorkshire kris's thread further down titled 'super thick bamboos!'theres a link there that shows you how big this monster can get. :shock:
Just in case anyone else is interested I found this thread:

http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 10&t=11843
jacko

Post by jacko »

some update photos for you.my nigra is the star of the show at the moment with around a dozen culms much bigger than ever before.spectabilis has produced about 70 odd culms :shock: and is doing its 'kinky' thing again.this warm weather has really brought them on.nothing on my yellow aureocaulis vivax but about six appearing on the huangwenzhu vivax.
Attachments
DSCF7579.JPG
DSCF7580.JPG
DSCF7582.JPG
DSCF7583.JPG
DSCF7585.JPG
DSCF7573.JPG
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Very impressive Jacko, this warm spell is definitely have a good effect on bamboos :D Love the kinky one and I have to say that last picture does not look like an English garden, looks like a holiday photo from an exotic location. Well done Jacko, they are stunning.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Wow, those dog-legged bamboo look crazy! Never seen that before.

:lol:
grub

Post by grub »

Way ahead of me Jacko, the warmer weather though has started to kick things off icon_cheers
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

Some serious activity going on there jacko mate .... :D

Lovely job ....

Excellent day today .... My dear wife has secured tickets and accommodation for 'Bamboo nutters day' with PW down in Norfolk ..... Best birthday present ever .... icon_cheers icon_cheers

Laz
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Never seen your garden before Jacko LOVE IT :D :D

How old is it?

And the super thick bamboo when was this planted?

Doubt anything could stand in the way of that culm! fences, concrete etc etc :shock:
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Lots of really strong growth happening there Jacko!

It looks great mate :)
jacko

Post by jacko »

cheers folks, cordy 2008 when i started going for a bamboo jungle.p.nigra being the exception as ive had that nearly 10 years.my huanwenzhu vivax has produced around 10 culms so far with one quite chunky one.nothing on aureocaulis vivax yet.some more pics.
Attachments
DSCF7603.JPG
DSCF7592.JPG
DSCF7607.JPG
DSCF7616.JPG
DSCF7597.JPG
jacko

Post by jacko »

cordy,the huangwenzhu vivax was planted in march 2009.from 7ft to 25ft in 3 years it truly is a plant with muscle :lol:
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

jacko wrote:cordy,the huangwenzhu vivax was planted in march 2009.from 7ft to 25ft in 3 years it truly is a plant with muscle :lol:

how happy would these be in a root barrier? and what size barrier would be needed icon_scratch
jacko

Post by jacko »

not sure cordy but theres a good article here on root barriers http://www.bamboogarden.com/barrier.htm