some bamboo pictures

Kiwirichard

Re: some bamboo pictures

Post by Kiwirichard »

What an impressive looking Bamboo patch you have there Jacko,and so many different types too. :D

At the start of your thread,5 pics down looks so much like the Bamboo that ive got.
jacko

Post by jacko »

thats a Fargesia jiuzhaigou 'genf ' similar to a fargesia nitida it has small leaves and is unlikely to get to 6 metres in height so i dont think this is your one.some bamboos are really difficult to identify properly because many look the same but its fun trying. :D
jacko

Post by jacko »

gogglebox i had tree ferns doing quite well until last december finished them off.i have a cycas but it has'nt flushed this year,hopefully next year.
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

Fantastic jacko mate ..... looks like its been a good year for you... :D

Laz
jacko

Post by jacko »

cheers laz and yes great growth this year.
jacko

Post by jacko »

some late season photos for you.the vivax's are looking particularly good this time of year with the recent mild weather.heres hoping the winter wont defoliate them up like last year.
Attachments
DSCF6557.JPG
DSCF6567.JPG
DSCF6563.JPG
DSCF6573.JPG
DSCF6568.JPG
DSCF6547.JPG
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Thought you've been quiet for a while.... lovely photos, nice lush leaves and those culms are really sizing up. icon_thumleft
kata

Post by kata »

I never thought about Bamboo being like that,

I love the Bamboo, in that setting it looks awasome Jacko.

A fantastic garden all round.

Thanks for sharing!!

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

i'd love a garden sizeable enough to have an area where i could really let bamboos go so they look like that. icon_thumleft
jacko

Post by jacko »

it never ceases to amaze me how fast vivax can grow.mine havent been in the ground yet for 3 years,that'll be march next year.heres some photos from march 2009 when i planted them.they were around 7ft then.
Attachments
2garden17.03.09.jpg
garden19.03.09.JPG
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I take it bamboo is your favourite plant then jacko? you seem to have a lot of it.
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

are tehy in trugs or restricted......or left to rome ?
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
jacko

Post by jacko »

yeah i confess i do love bamboo :lol: and no they are not confined to trugs they are free to roam but i root prune when necessary.
kata

Post by kata »

I have read it can be Invasive (Bamboo,

Is this an height Invasion or width invasion. Example. If I planted one Bamboo at a six foot fence would that one in time cover the whole six foot?

Thanks!
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

kata wrote:I have read it can be Invasive (Bamboo,
Some species of Bamboo send out "runners" and then a new plant pops up along that runner.

Some species are clump-forming and don't do that (although I have read that all will / can "in time" ... but I may only have read that on web sites that sell expensive barrier-material to stop Bamboo running !)