some bamboo pictures

kata

Re: some bamboo pictures

Post by kata »

Kristen thanks,

Any cheapish sites. Everywhere it $60 80. It may be less at B&Q.
:mrgreen:

A long time ago I threw some away, I never knew they were such nice plants......... icon_aaargh
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

I think the thing to do Kata, maybe to get a really large pot and put a nice bamboo in that, plenty of water and feed it will do fine, just remembering to insulate the pot in winter to protect roots. I got most of mine from B & Q, they have done well, also bought a black one from Easy Tropicals :D
jacko

Post by jacko »

because they grow so fast you could buy a small one which is less expensive.check out e bay.theres always some for sale on there.i've had a few bargains myself off there.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

which bamboo would you suggest for me jacko, i want one that will grow to about 8-10 height and clumps but does not send out runners if possible?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

How about Fargesia rufa?
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

I like that kris, where would be a good place to get one from?
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

sanatic1234 wrote:I like that kris, where would be a good place to get one from?

I think B&Q had some of these? My local GC had loads of these this year as well.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

My B&Q had bamboo in that was about 14ft high, it was Phyllostachys aurea and the canes were thick! £35 that was in season price.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

kata wrote:Kristen thanks,

Any cheapish sites. Everywhere it $60 80. It may be less at B&Q.
I asked a similar question a while back. Bamboo is about the most expensive plant size-for-size that I see listed and unlike other plants it doesn't seem to be listed anywhere (although no doubt on eBay) as "Available in 9cm pot".

Majority of plants I have came in 9cm pots, and I was happy they took 2 years to get to a normal-starter-size. All my Bamboos came in monster-sized pots and cost quite-a-bit.

What is it with Bamboo plants only being available in 10L pots and up? Surely they must start life small, and then grow?
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks everyone,

Trudy, B&Q sounds the place to go. In water, will the roots not rot?

icon_cheers
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Being a grass Kata it needs copius amounts of water in the summer, especially in a pot, in the winter though water now and again, it does not want to sit in water. I think the worst problem I have read, is the roots freezing in the pot during very cold spells, this causes a drought to the bamboo as it cannot take up any water, so pots need plenty of insulation to keep roots from freezing. Top growth is fine, well mine have been anyway, snow bends the canes but they straighten back up no problem :D

My local B & Q's always have bamboos, so it could be the place to start :D
jacko

Post by jacko »

Phyllostachys aurea 14ft at 35 quid sounds a bargain to me.at scottish bamboo site they sell a fargesia rufa in a 3 litre size for 21 quid.
sanatic1234

Post by sanatic1234 »

it was massive jacko, and so was the pot it was in. Thing is even if i wanted to buy that there would be no way of getting that into a car. :lol: I bet it has gone now, i must have a look when im next down the princes trust.
kata

Post by kata »

Thanks Trudi,

Obviously misread you about water and pot :roll: :roll:

Easy tropicals are in the £30-£40 price range but his stuff is good stuff. I got an Ensete off him. We'll see how that goes next summer, RedS is rearing it.. :lol:

You know, no way would I have paid that money for my Bamboo (gave it away )but its about five years ago now.

icon_cheers icon_cheers
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

I agree Kata, Easy Tropicals Phyllo Nigra I got was a stunner, it has grown brilliantly this year, never worried about it once. The good thing about bamboo is it grows quickly, so a small clump fills a pot and looks good in quite a short space of time :)