vivax growth 20 inches in two days

jacko

vivax growth 20 inches in two days

Post by jacko »

ive managed to capture some photos of a vivax culm which has grown 20 inches in two days due to this warm weather.i'm still chasing that elusive foot a day,but 10 inches is'nt far off.
Attachments
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: vivax growth 20 inches in two days

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Excellent progress. Mine have been at half an inch for a month now....
jacko

Post by jacko »

thats unusual kris,i've got some shoots doing that too but otherwise its romping away.its cooled down now so growth has slowed and i can no longer reach with a tape measure but here are the last two days growth.and a couple more shots of my aureocaulis vivax.
Attachments
p.vivax aureocaulis
p.vivax aureocaulis
p.vivax aureocaulis
p.vivax aureocaulis
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

do bamboos keep sending up new culms throughout the year?
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Ever done a time lapse Jacko :?: That would be interesting to watch
jacko

Post by jacko »

mr list,yes they can send shoots up randomly but the main flush of new shoots is in spring and early summer.arlon i have got a time series of photos taken from the same position roughly which could be joined together as an animation gif i suppose , i might have a go and see if it works.
Last edited by jacko on Mon Jun 06, 2011 10:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Mr List wrote:do bamboos keep sending up new culms throughout the year?
As Jacko says, but also to add that if you get a mild Autumn then they can send up more culms then as I found out a few years ago. However, I have read from some bamboo growing experts on GOTE that it is best to snuff that flush of growth out if it happens as it will use up energy from the rhizome that would be better off used the next spring.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Excellent progress. Mine have been at half an inch for a month now....
In the last two days mine have put on amazing growth. Now a full one inch tall!! Joking aside at least they haven't aborted. Only two culms emerged so far compared to 6 on the parvifolia. Jacko yours are motoring icon_salut
jacko

Post by jacko »

is yours in a pot kris? if it is,could be why its slow vivax doesnt like being in a pot it soon fills it and you have to give it more water and feed.if its in the ground then maybe its too dry and or in need of fertilizer they are very hungry plants.thats interesting adam about snuffing out the autumn shooting of culms they never get through winter anyway.it makes sense to conserve the rhizomes energy.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

jacko wrote:is yours in a pot kris? if it is,could be why its slow vivax doesn't like being in a pot it soon fills it and you have to give it more water and feed.if its in the ground then maybe its too dry and or in need of fertilizer they are very hungry plants.
It is in a large plastic pot. It was re-potted last year and I was amazed by the size of the root ball. I have kept it very well watered and fed. Last winter won't have helped but was expecting big things this year.

The parvifolia is doing great 6 new culms a couple over 5 foot and still growing.
jacko

Post by jacko »

trouble is with the december we had the pot could have frozen solid and killed lots of rhizomes and maybe yours is recovering undergound rather than above at the moment.is there plenty of foliage on the older culms? because this will provide energy to the rhizomes and get them moving.short of getting it out off the pot to have a look to see if its full of fat healthy rhizomes and a big rootball all round in comparison to the top growth its wait and see.many young bamboos spend a few years striking a balance between top and bottom growth until it matures and is in balance with itself.