What would you do?

AndyC

What would you do?

Post by AndyC »

I'm preparing a planting area of 3M x 3M for a large bamboo. The trouble is I've got two to choose from, Chusquea gigantea and Phyllostachys dulcis.
At the moment I'm leaning towards the Phyllostachys as it will probably size up quicker and I can always eat the shoots if it gets too big but I'm still undecided icon_scratch Which would you choose to plant and why? Answers please using no less than 10 words and no more than 40 :lol:
Andy
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: What would you do?

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I would go for gigantea as I have seen that grown well in the UK but not seen dulcis in the Uk.
jacko

Post by jacko »

gigantea its spectacular :D
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Thanks guys, I had a feeling that the Chusquea would get the vote. I haven't seen either of them in the flesh as mature plants so I'm going to have to take a leap of faith anyway.
Andy
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Hi Andyc, I was not familiar with either variety, so googled them, the phyllo looks nice enough but very similar to others, the Chusquesa Gigantea however looks stunning, how I wish I had a big garden :( . The pictures I have seen had the bottom leaves stripped to show the canes, WOW certainly a looker :) .
Regards Trudy
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

Cally Gardens in the south west of Scotland had a 30ft+ stand of C. gigantica when we visited last year. It had been completely topkilled ... but apparently not for the 1st time
Threive_Broug._Cally 185.JPG
Laz