Phyllostachys Heteroclada

huporhaha

Phyllostachys Heteroclada

Post by huporhaha »

Seven years ago I germinated some seed of this and have several clumps in different situations. Being a "water bamboo" I have some beside the stream and some in a boggy area. I have some in a drier area and some in pots. It is proving perfectly hardy but it is very weedy and tiny how ever much I feed it, nurture it, speak to it and tend to it. Not one has grown more than two foot six inches tall. They have all clumped up but some of the older culms have died off and I've thinned them.

I am convinced that although they may be very hardy, they need much hotter summers than we have here for them to grow into the giants they are in the wild.

Has anyone else had a similar experience or has anyone got them to grow taller?
flounder

Re: Phyllostachys Heteroclada

Post by flounder »

bought a small one just before the bad winters started. Its proved hardy enough seeing as its still in a small pot and only a single stem again at the moment, must get round to planting it
huporhaha

Re: Phyllostachys Heteroclada

Post by huporhaha »

They seem pretty hardy. I have one that is almost in a drainage ditch and gets smothered every summer by a gunnera. I just think that wherever I put them they don't grow big. I kept 2 in huge pots in the greenhouse this summer but they have not grown any taller.