Bamboo longevity

Darlo Mark

Re: Bamboo longevity

Post by Darlo Mark »

I guess the duration of cold probably won't be like our winters when we get cold weather. Also the light levels will be better with your lattitude being better than here. I guess you don't get many sub zero maxima either.

All looking very tranquil! Hope you get a good spring and summer.
Kiwirichard

Post by Kiwirichard »

Darlo Mark wrote:
I guess the duration of cold probably won't be like our winters when we get cold weather.
Yes it was only that morning after it snowed,it stayed at 4deg all day and then hit zero at 3.00,by 11.00pm it was at -11deg then a NW wind off the maintains came through and warmed up to +11deg within half an hour
Also the light levels will be better with your lattitude being better than here.
Its only in June July that it will snow during the light day hours,August there's more heat in the sun and its more likely that if its snowing in the morning it will turn to rain in the afternoon
I guess you don't get many sub zero maxima either.
No,it will always get over zero,at least to 1-2 deg
All looking very tranquil! Hope you get a good spring and summer.
icon_cheers yes ive had a great spring so far which was two weeks early
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

I can't speak from experience about bamboo longevity in general but in this part of Scotland a large amount of Chusquea Culeou was suddenly dead this year. I didn't notice whether or not it flowered but by late summer this year 8 clumps in local areas had died. Last winter was not nearly as severe as the previous two winters had been so maybe I never noticed them flowering........ icon_scratch