Bamboo Stripping, how and when?

Trudytropics

Re: Bamboo Stripping, how and when?

Post by Trudytropics »

Thanks Andy great clip, glad he did'nt need the electric saw :lol: . It made a huge difference to that clump, he went a little high with his stripping for my tastes, but getting rid of all that spindly stuff is what I'll be looking to do as well as stripping the canes :D
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

Cool . Glad you got to see that Trudy. Wasn`t sure how to put a link on here as i`m a newbie to the forum and still sussing it out. I thought it made the bamboo look a lot better though. They look a lot more exotic when you can see all the big culms at the bottom (IMO) but like he said ... depends on your taste. And when you want it to keep prying eyes from nosy neighbours at bay then maybe it`s better to keep a little more on. It shows though that you don`t have to be too worried about cutting away the stuff you don`t want. 8)
Andy
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Andy you may be a newbie but you can post links, I joined in June and still don't know what I'm doing :lol:

I agree with what you say, boo does look better, at the moment our hedge is so dense unless you knew it was bamboo you could mistake it for something else. Hence the reason for stripping and showing the canes at the bottom. Some of the members on here have the most fantastic bamboo groves with canes showing and they look great. Its particularly spectacular with the more unusual boos with nice coloured canes, sadly my boo hedge is only phyllo aurea, a good performer but not the most interesting :lol:
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I`ve got just 4 Boos in my garden so far. Ones a small fargesia Rufa that is doing very well and has doubled in size since i planted it about 10 months ago, But is still only a few feet tall. Another is a Fargesia Mureli Vampire that doesn`t seem to have done a lot and is still quite small aswell. Also have a Pseudosasa japonica that`s attempting to run all over my lawn and i recently bought a Phylo Aurea. I bought it because it had culms about an inch or more in diameter and thought it would really explode with huge new culms but it doesn`t seem to have done a lot since i planted it. Seems to be the story of my garden this year really.Even my bananas have hardly grown any this year. Put out lots of pups but a very dissapointing year for me. :?
There`s always next year though isn`t there!! :DD
Andy