fargesia robusta autumn shooting

jacko

fargesia robusta autumn shooting

Post by jacko »

it looks like this year my robusta wants to shoot again this year.last 2 years it has been my vivax's that have shooted again in autumn,but they havent this year.my spectabilis's have one or two autumn shoots and everything else seems to be ok so far.i dont know whether to deliberately abort these culms on my robusta or not as there seem to be quite a few erupting and to gamble on it being a milder winter.they are a good inch in diameter.
Attachments
DSCF6374.JPG
DSCF6375.JPG
DSCF6376.JPG
DSCF6377.JPG
Adam D

Re: fargesia robusta autumn shooting

Post by Adam D »

Hmmm, tough call on whether or not to abort them.

If it was up here then I would snap them off and keep the energy in the rhizome for the Spring.

However, your culms grow much faster than mine and will have a much better chance of survival than up here.

Then again, I would be tempted to abort them and let a new flush grow well in the Spring with the extra vigour that would have gone into this lot.
jacko

Post by jacko »

i think i'll leave them and see what happens.if they die from the cold this year and i get weak growth in spring next year then i will have learned something.cheers adam.
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

jacko, I had very late new culms on castillonis inversa last year. When the arctic conditions hit in November I thought they would peg it. Instead they simply stopped growing at around 6ins. Mid march this year they took off again and were fully grown by mid June - giving them plenty of time to harden off before winter. This is a late shooting Phyllo. anyway - so hopefully at least some will survive this year.

I suspect if it hadn't been for the early onset of the cold last year, the culms would have been more developed when winter finally arrived and would almost certainly have been killed off.
March 24 2011 087.JPG
Taken late March this year.

Laz
jacko

Post by jacko »

thats interesting laz.in the past i have had late season shoots that stop at 6 inches or so for winter like yours but never grow back next spring and just rot back to the ground.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

My fargesia robusta that I got in July has sent up 4-6 new culms in the last couple of months. All seem to be doing well.

Hopefully this late warmth will mean that we all get huge culms next year!
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

all the checkered canes are new, my robusta is having an October "flush" :lol:

jacko

Post by jacko »

update for you mine have stopped growing and remain at an inch in length as buds really so ive mulched over them for some protection from cold and hopefully they'll regrow in spring.
jacko

Post by jacko »

and they are still here in march and starting to grow,excellent. :D
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Good stuff Jacko!

Only movement up here is around the Fargesia scabrida which has started to send up a few. Mind you, I am always a few weeks behind you chaps down south so I just have to be patient.
jacko

Post by jacko »

i wonder if i'll get a combination of autumn buds and spring buds growing together.if so i'll have a hell of a lot of culms this season.nothing on my scabrida yet.
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

jacko wrote:i wonder if i'll get a combination of autumn buds and spring buds growing together.if so i'll have a hell of a lot of culms this season.nothing on my scabrida yet.
That would be quite a sight as those robusta send up loads of culms during just a normal spring growth spurt.

I will have a dig/look around my Campbell this weekend to see if there is any new culms coming up.
jacko

Post by jacko »

spoke too soon,just found these on my scabrida. :lol:
Attachments
fargesia scabrida
fargesia scabrida
fargesia scabrida
fargesia scabrida
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I could not see any on my Campbell, but I did see some starting to come up on my Fargesia rufa :)
jacko

Post by jacko »

it seems that my robusta and scabrida are slower to get going this year than last year.i've looked at some comparison photos exactly a year apart and noticed a marked difference in length of culms this year compared to last possibly because i'm still getting cool near frosty nights keeping soil temps down.there are large swings between daytime and nightime temps. here at the moment.
Attachments
24.03.11 fargesia robusta
24.03.11 fargesia robusta
24.03.12 fargesia robusta
24.03.12 fargesia robusta
24.03.12 fargesia scabrida
24.03.12 fargesia scabrida