Can I repot bamboo any time?

ourarka

Can I repot bamboo any time?

Post by ourarka »

I have a Phyllostachys aurea that keeps blowing over in its fairly lightweight trough. I have bought a bigger, and far more substantial, one. I get the impression that repotting bamboo can be done pretty much anytime - is that true?
Tom2006

Re: Can I repot bamboo any time?

Post by Tom2006 »

In your location you should be fine but make sure you don't do it when the weather is too cold. Its forecast to get quite mild this week, especially down south so I would say go for it.
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
ourarka

Post by ourarka »

Thanks Tom
jacko

Post by jacko »

try not to disturb the roots and rhizomes too much and prevent the trough from freezing up in winter.i would do it in late february but being as its ' relatively ' mild weather and your in sussex go for it.mulch it with straw or hay for winter too.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

good thanks, i was thinking of moving a bamboo too

do you think i could move a Phoenix canariensis_CIDP from a large pot to the ground this time of year? surely it would be warmer in the ground...?
flounder

Post by flounder »

I know people say don't repot stuff this time of year but we can get away with a lot more down south, especially you Dave in northern France there :wink:
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

flounder wrote:I know people say don't repot stuff this time of year but we can get away with a lot more down south, especially you Dave in northern France there :wink:
If its mild enough go for it and as of tuesday it should be double digits in the south until X'mas! icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

i would have thought its a good time of year to repot or de-pot as -with bare root plants- they are all dormant at this time of year
might move it and the bamboo next weekend then icon_rabbit