Thamnocalamus 'Kew Beauty'

Simba

Thamnocalamus 'Kew Beauty'

Post by Simba »

My 'Kew Beauty' has been slow to get itself established, what is everyone else's experiences with this bamboo...?

Is it better in a very sheltered and shady spot..?

Any photos would be welcomed.. :D
jacko

Re: Thamnocalamus 'Kew Beauty'

Post by jacko »

i had the Thamnocalamus crassinodus 'Gosainkund ' variety and found it disappointing it couldnt handle the last 3 winters here and has subsequently died after december 2010's weather.i think 'kew beauty' is slightly hardier than the 'gosainkund'.it might do better in essex climatically than here in mid wales.prefers shade.
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

Until last autumn I had my 'Kew Beauty' planted in a sheltered sunny spot where it thrived for three years. Last winter it lost quite a lot of its leaves but in the spring it bounced back and produced 18 new canes.
I had to move it last autumn because I'd foolishly planted it with a P.nigra 'Henonis', S. fastuosa and a Fargesia murieliae 'Pingwu' in a spot that was really only big enough for the first two (I've still got to move the Pingwu).
I've divided the 'Kew Beauty' and planted half of it in a sheltered semi-shaded spot with a bit more space around it for expansion.
I would have thought it would be perfectly hardy in your part of the world Simba and would be ok in sun as long as it gets plenty of water. It does tend to let you know by curling its leaves when it wants a drink.
Andy
Simba

Post by Simba »

It has been it a sheltered spot amongst my Dicksonia antarctica, but I think I am going to move it into an ultra sheltered spot where it will be completely protected from the wind, but the downside is it won't get a lot of sunlight...

Shouldn't bother it too much though, still get nicely coloured culms..?
Simba

Post by Simba »

Anyone got photos of a mature Kew Beauty....trying to figure out how much space to allow.... icon_scratch
rufc15lizzie

Post by rufc15lizzie »

Kew Beauty doesn't really like the sun that much and prefers shady spot. But loves water, and will need lots of it, during dry periods it will quickly suffer. Its preferred position is in water. This love of water is probably why it doesn't like being in the sun.

Post by Simba »

rufc15lizzie wrote:Its preferred position is in water..
Really, in the water..??
rufc15lizzie

Post by rufc15lizzie »

Sorry i didn't explain that very well. They like planting at a waters edge, but will not permanent standing water or where the roots are submerged in water all year round.

Post by Simba »

If tahts teh case Lizzie, then it is going to be pretty difficult for me to successfully keep this variety.... :(
Steph

Post by Steph »

Sink it in a big pot without holes and it will reside in its own water hole.
Am going to try (again) with a Gunnera like that and the Phoenix Robelinii is getting the same treatment.

Or will Kew Beauty be the next thing you eject?
Simba

Post by Simba »

Steph wrote:Sink it in a big pot without holes and it will reside in its own water hole.
That is an interesting idea...might try that..

No intentions of getting rid of Kew Beauty Steph, but if this part of essex is too dry, then it will never thrive anyway... :(

Must admit the best one I have ever seen was planted against a damp brick wall in Nottingham.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

mix in loads of water gel crystals?
ChrisB

Post by ChrisB »

I moved house last year but I had a Kew Beauty that had been in the ground for about 5 years. It was in a sheltered spot in the dappled shade of a large Birch tree and was very happy there. This spot was also very dry though due to the roots of said Birch and a lot of very large Beech trees in the vicinity. Also, it didn't get watered very much because the hose never reached that far.
I suppose it took a couple of years to get going and its charms are subtle compared to some but it was a beautiful plant and put up a dozen or so new culms each year,

Should have chopped a bit off and brought it with me !!!