pruning bamboos

jacko

pruning bamboos

Post by jacko »

i've just finished pruning my bamboos.its taken 2 days and has given them a fresh look and much more stunning with the culm colours.heres some before and after shots.
Attachments
DSCF6988.JPG
DSCF6934.JPG
DSCF6995.JPG
DSCF6948.JPG
DSCF7002.JPG
DSCF6976.JPG
The Codfather

Re: pruning bamboos

Post by The Codfather »

Mint...... icon_thumleft
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Very smart. Will Giles's bamboos, at the entrance to his garden, look smart with the stems showing similar to how you have done yours :)

Mr List

Post by Mr List »

nice, how high up have you gone?
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Ijacko, I cant believe how nice and tight the bamboo is with no barriers......when I see that I want to plant some.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Looks really good Jacko. icon_thumleft
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Wow, they look fab icon_thumleft
Simba

Post by Simba »

Looking great there Jacko, I am hoping to do mine this weekend too.... icon_thumright
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

They look fantastic Jacko icon_thumleft . Can`t wait till mine are big enough to do the same.
Ian Cooke

Post by Ian Cooke »

The bamboos look fantastic BUT disadvantage is that you've exposed the fence behind - YUK - sorry! What about some sort of very pale screen behind the black bamboo to show off the culms? Apologies for being critical!
jacko

Post by jacko »

cheers everyone.mr list i've pruned up to around 5ft on most and arond 6ft for the vivax.ian i see what you mean i could paint the fence a light colour its due for a coat of something anyway i shall consider that ,good idea.as for the black bamboo i suggest using gloves it was a tough job trying to get to the centre of it,more of a fight than a leisurly garden job :lol: .got scratches all over my hands the others were not too bad to do.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

I'd have to agree with Ian, your fence is pretty ugly. Put something remotely attractive behind your bamboo and I reckon your garden would look very special!

Mine are all still babies but I hope that in the coming years they'll start to resemble yours, because they do look quite perfect. Nice work! :)
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

I didn't even notice the fence, my eye was drawn only to the pretty stems of the bamboos icon_thumleft
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

I'm sure I would not have noticed it either if it weren't for my critical eye on these matters, 'tis what I do... :)

However, paint it a nice modern colour (if you like modern) and it will look amazing!
SueW

Post by SueW »

Wow, they look fantastic. One of my next purchases is going to be a black bamboo. I'll be trimming it like this when it's big enough. Re: the fence, could you maybe pop a length of reed or willow screening behind it?