Fargesia, lots of people comment eventually it will run...

cordyman

Fargesia, lots of people comment eventually it will run...

Post by cordyman »

any truth to this?

Why would a clump forming habitat bamboo after many years suddently start to send creeping rhizomes out? Surely the clump just becomes bigger and bigger.

second question my fargesia hedge is very close to a ridge topped wall. Eventually when culms start to come up near the ridge can I simply prune this new growth off and the energy will be diverted to other growth? So in effect you can shape the hedge to no ill effect?

Last edited by cordyman on Sun Mar 04, 2012 10:29 am, edited 1 time in total.
jacko

Re: Fargesia, lots of people comment eventually it will run.

Post by jacko »

yes to your second question and i dont know about your first question.i'll do some googling on it and see if i can find anything.
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

jacko wrote:yes to your second question and i dont know about your first question.i'll do some googling on it and see if i can find anything.
Look forward to advice on first question icon_thumright

also Jacko slightly related to second question..

Does bamboo push up from the base, or grow from the tip of current culm?

so if bamboo ever gets too tall, can it simply be pruned at the top to desired height with loppers/sheers? stopping that culm at that height for good? Again giving energy back to the plants to send up new culms?
jacko

Post by jacko »

ok i've had a look and consulted some books and basically a clumping bamboo will spread outwards in diameter slowly but not 'run' because it has a different rhizome structure. clumping bamboos are pachymorph and running bamboos are leptomorph.check this site out for the differences.http://www.bamboobotanicals.ca/bamboo-c ... pread.html
as for the second question yes bamboos grow from the base and once a new culm reaches its max height in a growing season thats it it wont gain anymore height.culms will get bigger and taller each year as the plant matures.you can prune the height if you wish.more foliage = more energy for the plant.if you prune more than a third of the overall size of the plant it will lose vigour and decline over the years.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Great link Jacko, very informative. icon_thumleft
jacko

Post by jacko »

yeah arlon it is good plenty of info on there. icon_salut
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Will be planting my boo's out permanently soon and have been dithering about the best method. This site has been a terrific help, so thanks again. Have bookmarked it as well

icon_thumleft
mixiepalms

Post by mixiepalms »

all boos will "run" without management.
Simba

Post by Simba »

I visited the Rodings yesterday..

They have massive mature specimens of many bamboo including Fargesia Scabrida & Wolong, and I would not be at all concerned about these running rampant.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Great link Jacko, loads of good info there.

icon_thumright
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

jacko wrote:ok i've had a look and consulted some books and basically a clumping bamboo will spread outwards in diameter slowly but not 'run' because it has a different rhizome structure. clumping bamboos are pachymorph and running bamboos are leptomorph.check this site out for the differences.http://www.bamboobotanicals.ca/bamboo-c ... pread.html
as for the second question yes bamboos grow from the base and once a new culm reaches its max height in a growing season thats it it wont gain anymore height.culms will get bigger and taller each year as the plant matures.you can prune the height if you wish.more foliage = more energy for the plant.if you prune more than a third of the overall size of the plant it will lose vigour and decline over the years.
Simba wrote:I visited the Rodings yesterday..

They have massive mature specimens of many bamboo including Fargesia Scabrida & Wolong, and I would not be at all concerned about these running rampant.

So as confirmed by the above, clumping bamboo's don't run.

I use the term "run" in the invasive sense. It seems there really isn't a mechanism in place which suddenly turns a clumping Fergasia into a running pest bamboo.

Maintenance as simple as removing unwanted canes, which will always be close to the main plant

"Pachymorph rhizomes that grow upwards developing into a new culm. New rhizomes emerge from buds on an existing rhizome and so forth. This accumulative effect causes the grove to expand slowly around the perimeter"

This has put my mind at ease, as i've read many posts where i'm told all bamboo's are eventually invasive. Did you get any pics Simba of these mature Fergasias?

I fancy planting a load more Fergesia's this year out in the ground, they really are bang for buck icon_thumleft
Simba

Post by Simba »

cordyman wrote:Did you get any pics Simba of these mature Fergasias?
I didn't, and I deliberately took my camera too....nevermind, I will be going back soon and will definately take some pix then.... icon_thumright