Pot sinking a running bamboo

Delboy

Pot sinking a running bamboo

Post by Delboy »

I did ask this is another thread but it got lost amongst the on topic banter lol.

I really fancy buying some black bamboo and/or golden bamboo.
Both are runners so I would need to keep them contained.

Would sinking something like a 50/60 ltr pot be enough to keep them contained or would they escape thru the drainage holes?
I'm not sure how deep one of those size pots are?

Just thought I'd check as the alternative is either building a raised contained bed or just putting them in a big pot but not sinking it.
GoggleboxUK

Re: Pot sinking a running bamboo

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Not sure about the varieties you mention Del but my Aureas are in 40L pots and runners are poking through the bottom.

I think the consesnsus seems to be to cut the bottom off a dustbin and sink that. Bamboo barriers are 2ft (60cm) deep so I'd imagine any pot lower in height that that would be risky but obviously this depends on just how invasive the boo is.

I'll be trying out a method using thick plastic carpet protector soon so will let people know whether that keeps my Aurea contained.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Del, black & golden bamboo are not supposed to be that invasive as i've got both of these myself. I think if in general people are going to bury pots then your best to go massive or use a dustbin with the bottom removed, otherwise you'll stunt the growth of the bamboo & have to dig up & repot. I've got loads of aurea bamboo and this is supposed to be more of a clumping variety. i've got 3 types of golden bamboo, most are over 15ft tall with thick canes & about 25 in each large container approx 160litre each. The big ones will go in the ground this year& i may even sink these massive pots straight in.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Cheers guys.
Well a dustbin it is then lol. I will just go 2ft deep, im not digging any deeper than that lol.

Karl, 160 ltr :shock: they must be huge boos.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Delboy wrote:Cheers guys.
Well a dustbin it is then lol. I will just go 2ft deep, im not digging any deeper than that lol.

Karl, 160 ltr :shock: they must be huge boos.
They are m8, we bought them to screen the neighbours :D , but i still think bamboos this big look better & do better planted. karl.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

That's why I want some bamboo too mate.
One side we have a women in her 50's and altho she doesn't touch her garden she's good as gold never hear a peep.
The other side altho friendly they are really really nosey and you can feel them watching you when your outside, caught them spying on us so many times lol. Again they don't touch their garden yet they moan like mad if anything climbs over the fence. I want to plant some boo to keep the nosey gits out and bug the husband :twisted:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Ha ha, we all have some issues with neighbours unless your loaded enough to have a big secluded detached place, which i'm certainly not!!. We have ok neighbours but the old girl on the one side is too nosey for her own good & the other side are a great family but very loud, and i'm contantly throwing balls back over the fence. karl.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Lol @ balls over the fence, I know that one well from our last property that we rented.
Family with a whole tribe of kids, if it wasn't balls it would be shoes, sticks and on one occasion a brick.
The parents didn't give a sh*t tho the dad did strangely get a lot better after the brick incident, I think it was the threatening to stick the brick somewhere that done it :wink:

Anyway back to bamboo.
Is there any clumpers that max out at about 10'
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I'm know expert but simon at amulree told me the fargesia bamboos are good clumpers, i have 2 maureli jumbo's which i thick will come good. karl.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

yep.
i think. icon_thumleft
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Yeah, Fargesia's are clumpers and you can get some really short ones, I have 2 different ones which should be well under 10'.

As for runners, they're supposed to usually grow within the top 6" of soil, hence why Yorkshire Kris is going to dig a little moat-like trench around his and keep an eye out for escapees.