Bamboo shooting dates 2012

Simba

Re: Bamboo shooting dates 2012

Post by Simba »

jacko wrote:very late kris i dont know why apart from horrible weather.the huanwenzhu next to it is romping away,both same age plants. icon_scratch
Exactly the same thing happening here too...Aureo has just pushed up 5 new culms, Huanwenzhu were the first to appear months ago.
jacko

Post by jacko »

ive only got 2 shoots on my aureocaulis vivax,at least one of them is big.the problem here is wind breaking fresh culms. :roll:
grub

Post by grub »

I've got the same here Jacko :evil: , I went out this morning to see about 2ft of Arisaema laid flat and snapped off at the corm too icon_aaargh icon_aaargh icon_aaargh icon_aaargh icon_aaargh icon_aaargh icon_aaargh
jacko

Post by jacko »

spectabilis for me and a few nigra side branches.its a shame to see magnificent 16 to 18ft culms lose the top 4 or 5 feet due to wind.bloody weather.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

so it was the wind that did that to my bamboo icon_thumbdown
Kyle

Post by Kyle »

A couple of my Chusquea gigantea culms have bent over 90 degrees, but haven't snapped. Very odd? The bent area is a fresh green colour unlike the rest of the culm.
grub

Post by grub »

Kyle that might be down to that bit of heat we had a couple of weeks back, sudden increase in growth speed and it doesn't all keep up. (At least I think that's why it happens, most commonly with Spectablis)
jacko

Post by jacko »

Phyllostachys Bambusoides f.lacrima-deae 25.06.12 its always late but this year its later.
jacko

Post by jacko »

phyllostachys bambusoides holochrysa 03.07.12.always late but very late this year.thats it,all my species have finally sprouted.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I still have bamboo shooting but removed them now as its too late for them to form properly. However I have missd a few on the F robusta.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

my pseudosasa has been (and still is) growing all year round.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

since I am new to the bamboo is there any factors that keep/help it to start shooting? I see alot of peoples started in march over there but in march it is still very very cold here. I would think they would start somtime in mid April over here but Ive never paid attention till now
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

miketropic wrote:since I am new to the bamboo is there any factors that keep/help it to start shooting? I see alot of peoples started in march over there but in march it is still very very cold here. I would think they would start somtime in mid April over here but Ive never paid attention till now

They have a big flush of growth in spring then more culms form sporadically throughout summer.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I know each type will have a differnt date but does it have to be above a certain temp in the daytime to trigger shooting or are they on a clock that they just shoot no matter the weather?
jacko

Post by jacko »

it just depends on when spring arrives in your part of the world,more daylight,more warmth equals growth.