Bamboo thickness.

karl66

Bamboo thickness.

Post by karl66 »

I have started buying lots of various bamboo's within the last 10/11 months, one of favorites is the Aurea i cant say the first name!!, i've been out today & bought some more which has the thickest canes i've seen, they are over 20ft tall & as thick as a pick axe handle!, approx how long would it take for more canes of this thickness to be re-produced?, i'm planting various bamboo fences and will split some of the pots into quarters, is one stick say every 6inches be enough to form a hedge eventually. karl.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Bamboo thickness.

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

karl66 wrote:I have started buying lots of various bamboo's within the last 10/11 months, one of favorites is the Aurea i cant say the first name!!, i've been out today & bought some more which has the thickest canes i've seen, they are over 20ft tall & as thick as a pick axe handle!, approx how long would it take for more canes of this thickness to be re-produced?, i'm planting various bamboo fences and will split some of the pots into quarters, is one stick say every 6inches be enough to form a hedge eventually. karl.

The culms produced next year should be as thick as the thickest ones you have now.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Ok kris thanks, that means i probably have enough to plant a small forest now!! :lol: karl.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

As thick as a pickaxe handle? :shock:

Pics please!

I've just planted 2 Phyllostacys Area, on in the ground and one in a planter, but I didn't realise they'd get that thick.

I'm quite frightened now as I've only rootbarriered to the front so they can spread behind my new Temple. Oh well, that will be fun to watch.

:lol:
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I didn't think they got that big either in the UK. Vivax should though.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I will get some pics up later or tommorow evening, i do only have 1 or 2 canes that thickness in each large tub! put it this way, if some part of my body was as thick i would not be a roofer for a living :lol: , all mine are going in the ground as most i have spoken to have advised there not invasive like the japonica species. karl.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

A few pic's of my latest additions, i have another 6 different variaties inc (kimmei) & various fargesia, most are planted out but are only between 6ft & 8ft tall, i also have some massive japonica's but these are contained in a large barrier as they like a walk!!. karl.
Attachments
001 (640x480).jpg
002 (640x480).jpg
003 (640x480).jpg
004 (640x480).jpg
005 (640x480).jpg
006 (640x480).jpg
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

They are very thick culms. Nice boos.
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Nice!

:DD
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Very very nice Karl, your wife will have to send a search party into your jungle before long to find you :lol: Your culms should get thicker year on year til they each optimum thickness.

PHIL-O-STACK-US :lol:
flounder

Post by flounder »

I'm more into fi-lo-stack-ees meself but hey ho, they're still impressive even if you pronounce it pan-Dicksonia antarctica-food :lol:
jacko

Post by jacko »

if your splitting them up then it would take a good 3 years to re-establish again before it sends up large culms.if your planting them straight out of the pots into the ground without disturbing the rootballs then you'll probably get thick culms this year or next year.
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

jacko wrote:if your splitting them up then it would take a good 3 years to re-establish again before it sends up large culms.if your planting them straight out of the pots into the ground without disturbing the rootballs then you'll probably get thick culms this year or next year.

Jacko beat me to it! ..... if you split your plants they will tend to revert to a more juvenile growth pattern with thinner culms.

Word of warning! - - don't be greedy, it's not good policy to over-split clumps. smaller divisions will need far more recovery time and may require you to reduce the foliage to match the reduced root system.

Better to have 2-3 healthy sized divisions - than half a dozen basket cases .. :D

Laz
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

GoggleboxUK wrote:As thick as a pickaxe handle? :shock:

I've just planted 2 Phyllostacys Area, on in the ground and one in a planter, but I didn't realise they'd get that thick.

I'm quite frightened now as I've only rootbarriered to the front so they can spread behind my new Temple. Oh well, that will be fun to watch.

:lol:
Aurea won't get too thick google mate ... and considering its a Phyllo .... its quite well behaved and won't wander too much.

Laz
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Aurea won't get too thick google mate
Does that mean Karl has got mixed up with his species then? icon_scratch

Original post:
karl66 wrote:I have started buying lots of various bamboo's within the last 10/11 months, one of favorites is the Aurea i cant say the first name!!, i've been out today & bought some more which has the thickest canes i've seen, they are over 20ft tall & as thick as a pick axe handle!