Bamboo thickness.

jacko

Re: Bamboo thickness.

Post by jacko »

p.aurea wont get much bigger than 1.5 inch thick culms.i've seen a mature specimen in a local garden centre growing free for the last 15 years about 16ft high and 1.5 inch culms so i wouldnt worry.the third picture down looks like a Phyllostachys viridis 'Robert Young' to me rather than a yellow vivax i may be wrong icon_scratch nice plants anyway.laz beat me to it aswell :lol: i was going to say you will have to cut the height down if your dividing for example you cant sustain a 20ft culm with a small rootball.give the divisions as much rootmass as possible and drop the height by around a third or more.
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

Not sure ... tbo ... but that seems very thick for aurea.

Paul Whittaker lists the max as 1.75in with a max height of 26ft. - average about 20.

Laz
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Thanks for the comments, the thickest shots are defo phyllostachys Aurea, the 3rd pic down is phyllostachys Aurea (caulis golden bamboo), the one by the tree fern is phyllostachys specterbillis, i also have large phyllostachys vivax aureocaulis, nigra, also on pics is yashadake 'kimmei'. I have thick culms of pseudosasa japonica & not so thick but growing nicely fargesia jumbo. I am in the process of trying to set a blog up, but i really am a thicko were computers are concerned, after all i am only a manual worker :lol: . karl.
jacko

Post by jacko »

your phyllostachys aurea in photos one and two does look amazing but im struggling to see how that thick culm could be fat as a pick axe handle,is it possible that you could take a photo like the first picture but with your hand around the culm so i could get an idea of the size. a bit like this one for example
Attachments
DSCF7008.JPG
karl66

Post by karl66 »

jacko wrote:your phyllostachys aurea in photos one and two does look amazing but im struggling to see how that thick culm could be fat as a pick axe handle,is it possible that you could take a photo like the first picture but with your hand around the culm so i could get an idea of the size. a bit like this one for example
I will do in the next day or so, but believe me my hands are like shovels!!.
jacko

Post by jacko »

:lol: ok karl that would be cool.ive just been reading about phyllostachys aurea growing in america and it looks like it can get to 2 inches thick and 26ft averaging 20ft. :shock: so im quite suprised at that.where did you get your bamboos from and were they expensive at that size?
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Jacko, i buy my bamboo from all over the country but the thick aurea came from akamba, it was expensive as its very unique being this thick. karl.