Help Identify + questions please! :) 2nd boo added :)

Kerinsian

Help Identify + questions please! :) 2nd boo added :)

Post by Kerinsian »

I was given a couple of rather small bits of rooted bamboo from runners a few years back from a bamboo clump that was about 3-4m high & 5ft or so diameter. The guy who gave them to me didn't know which bamboo they were so I'd love to know that if possible. They had those hard winters to deal with but even so my little clump is still less than impressive. :(
The roots have filled up the sunken half a rubbish bin with no bottom now, and are circling around inside it, what can I do to help it flourish? and I'd like to move it anyway, so can I do that now or should I wait till autumn?
bamboo1.jpg
bamboo2.jpg
bamboo3.jpg
The stems are green underneath a dry papery covering, and unfortunately I don't remember what colour they were on the fully grown parent.
bamboo4.jpg
I'd like to place it here when I do move it, would it like me to let the pond liner drain excess water into its planting hole? Or is it one that would prefer to be kept dryer?
bamboo5.jpg
Many thanks in advance :)
Last edited by Kerinsian on Sun May 06, 2012 7:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Andy P

Re: Help Identify + questions please! :)

Post by Andy P »

Looks like a Pseudosasa Japonica to me. Ok to move it now but be aware - these Boos are very invasive indeed.
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

Would it be best to keep it contained in the bin rather than use a bigger but flimsier containment then?

I'd like it to grow taller, other bits planted in open ground in someone else's garden are already almost 3 meters tall but mine is 5ft max and thin stems... is there a way to encourage it to grow bigger, but still contain it adequately?
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

It depends how big a clump you want. Contained or not, it will still grow taller each year. If it was mine i`d plant it in the ground and allow it to spread a bit but i`d buy some root Barrier and dig that in to the size of spread i wanted. It looks like you`ve got a fair bit of room for it. For me , keeping it`s spread ` Bin sized` doesn`t do it justice.
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

I agree, it's one of the reasons for moving it to be honest. Thanks for the input! :)
Kerinsian

Re: Help Identify + questions please!

Post by Kerinsian »

Any ideas on this one please? it came as three stems in a vase 18 months ago (I think it was bought at the range) they rooted so I potted them up. Might it be possible to plant it outdoors?
Attachments
boo1.jpg
boo2.jpg
Trudytropics

Re: Help Identify + questions please! :) 2nd boo added :)

Post by Trudytropics »

Hi, thats a lucky bamboo, can be planted outside, but would need to be kept in a very shady spot and kept nice and moist, apparently they suffer badly if over fertilised too. Naturally they grow under other plants, so are quite low growing and don't need too much light. I think this one is better kept in doors imo, will be more successful in the long run. :D
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

Thanks Trudy :)
I've now been able to look it up and realise now that it's actually not a bamboo anyway! Plus found I've put it too bright a light. My plant also thanks you as now I know how to care for it a little better ;)
jacko

Post by jacko »

if its going to be planted near the pond make sure it has a barrier to the pond liner because the rhizomes can puncture a pond liner.
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

I wondered if they might, so I slit the bin and have put that against the pool side, and installed a temporary "root barrier" made of doubled up thick garden bags tucked into it and around the free side until I can afford some of the real thing.
Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to the commercial root barriers? that stuff is pretty expensive and I garden on a budget of approximately zero! :lol:
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

I'm loving how it looks by the pool though, and it will be tremendous once it fills out a bit. Will take a picture when this rain stops :)
jungle jas

Post by jungle jas »

Be very careful if you plant it near the pool, It is more than capable of damaging the pool liner. icon_thumright
andyb

Post by andyb »

Kerinsian wrote:I wondered if they might, so I slit the bin and have put that against the pool side, and installed a temporary "root barrier" made of doubled up thick garden bags tucked into it and around the free side until I can afford some of the real thing.
Does anyone know of a cheaper alternative to the commercial root barriers? that stuff is pretty expensive and I garden on a budget of approximately zero! :lol:
Saw on another thread somebody said that builders DPM damp proof membrane on a roll might be a good alternative to root barrier, it comes in various widths.
I know its very strong stuff and not easy to puncture but as i know nothing about Boos you might want to ignore me :lol:

Edit, if it can go through a pond liner maybe DPM not strong enough :roll:
Andy P

Post by Andy P »

I bought a Pseudosasa japonica about 12 months ago and planted it in the garden. I later decided that i didn`t like where i`d planted it and wanted to move it to another spot once i`d removed some leylandii trees. This meant i`d have to leave it where it was for about 6 months. When i finally got round to digging it up and moving it i was amazed at how aggressively it had run. Underground there were very thick and strong runners going almost 3ft from the mother.( about 8 inches under the soil) This was just in around 6 or 7 months! :shock: Definitely the most thuggish plant that i`ve come across.( So Far) So what ever you decide to do with it - just choose a spread size that you want and then don`t scrimp on the type of root barrier you choose to contain it. I`m pretty sure it will grow straight through double layers of plastic sheeting or pond liners like they weren`t there.It will also spread over the top of them if you don`t leave at least a few inches of barrier above soil level.
This is a pic of mine now contained in a 2ft high raised bed. I`ve put 16mm twin wall polycarbinate sheeting between that and the next Bamboo to try to keep it in the corner of the bed but i`m sure in time it will jump over it and grow round it.
Attachments
2012-03-30 19.30.08.jpg
Kerinsian

Post by Kerinsian »

I've certainly been given food for thought here, and am very grateful as the last thing I need is to lose my pond liner or have an invasive thug running wild!

I might just have to find something else for the spot and put this in a large tub where I can keep it "tamed" though it seems a pity, as I was rather looking forward to a tall boo reflecting in the pond and helping to shade it :(