Planted vs Pots.

karl66

Planted vs Pots.

Post by karl66 »

I have several varieties of bamboos of all sizes mainly planted out. I know a lot on here keep potted bamboo, but my largest 50litre bucket of phylls aurea which is about 16ft high is taking a stupid amount of water almost every other day!!, i'm wondering now whether this will also be better in the ground as it only takes it to dry out & its dead. karl.
jacko

Re: Planted vs Pots.

Post by jacko »

yes it will be better off in the ground.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Thanks jacko, i've buried it this afternoon, amazing how much water large potted boo's take. karl.
jacko

Post by jacko »

have you buried it with or without the pot?if you buried it with the pot then yes it will keep it more moist.but if you want it to take off really well its best to plant it in the ground without the pot.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Its gone straight in the ground m8, all my other bamboos are also in the ground without pot protection apart from my japonica arrow bamboo which is in a massive root barrier to protect the neighbours :lol: . karl.
jacko

Post by jacko »

sounds great,you'll notice the difference once theyre in the ground in terms of growth and size.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Also potted bamboos seem to be much more prone to burnt leaves over winter. Probably the wind taking the water away from the leaves which cannot be resupplied by frozen roots. This is my theory but other peoples experiences do correlate.

I will eventually dig up some slabs for my Phyllo's but the Sasa palmatas will be several feet away from any open ground. :lol: