Repotting young Sasa palmata

Vagetarian

Repotting young Sasa palmata

Post by Vagetarian »

First of all I should point out that I am not quite insane and these will eventually be in containers on slabs or decking, way away from any open ground.. :D
DSC_00057.JPG
As you can see in the photo, the rhizomes are hanging out all over the place and all the culms are growing from these above ground rhizomes. They need potting up and they're going to go into 1L pots (like the pineapple at the back), if I plant them at the bottom of the new pots I will be able to bury them by an inch which will cover up some runners. Then I guess I'll cut the rest of the runners off sometime after they've produced some culms from underground. I think this will be the right thing to do because it's common to put a lot of mulch on bamboos...

Also, I'm thinking about keeping them in my conservatory 'til this time next year.

But I'm not really too confident about this so what would you do?
jacko

Re: Repotting young Sasa palmata

Post by jacko »

i would use bigger pots so as to bury the exposed rhizomes/runners and also you dont need to keep them in the conservatory,their hardy enough.just dont let them dry out.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Cheers jacko, I'll find some pots in the shed that will allow me to bury the lot then. That was exactly what I wanted to hear really. icon_thumleft

I know they're hardy enough to stay out for the winter but I was thinking about getting them growing a bit quicker.
jacko

Post by jacko »

yeah it wouldnt hurt to bring them in for winter.saves on worrying about the pots freezing in winter and killing the rhizomes,bamboos are more vulnerable in pots in winter than in the ground.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

jacko wrote:yeah it wouldnt hurt to bring them in for winter.saves on worrying about the pots freezing in winter and killing the rhizomes,bamboos are more vulnerable in pots in winter than in the ground.
Indeed, after bringing some 1L bamboos indoors to defrost for 24 hours over winter they ended up starting into growth much earlier than the big plants which didn't come inside. So, perhaps they'll keep growing all winter.