B&Q dwarf bamboo question

gdudey

B&Q dwarf bamboo question

Post by gdudey »

I purchased these two Fargesia Scabrida 'Asian Wonder and Fargesia Nitida 'Great Wall' from b&q earlier today they cost cost me 6.98 for the two on the bogof deal. I originally went to buy soil but you know how it is. :lol: Both are very small in 1 litre pots. I've read that small divisions aren't advisable with any bamboo, but I thought I'd take a punt anyway. Any advice on getting them going? much appreciated as always.
jacko

Re: B&Q dwarf bamboo question

Post by jacko »

they are way too small to be dividing them,just let them grow a few years before thinking of dividing.as for them being dwarf bamboos i would say medium heights of 12 to 16ft.pot on or put in the ground. icon_thumright
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

how big does rufa get, that is down as a dwarf at B&Q
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

jacko wrote:they are way too small to be dividing them,just let them grow a few years before thinking of dividing.as for them being dwarf bamboos i would say medium heights of 12 to 16ft.pot on or put in the ground. icon_thumright
I think he means that it's not advisable to buy small bamboo divisions.

As long as you don't mind waiting some years then there's not much to worry about. I have 10 very small boos, most were purchased as 9cm plants on eBay. You might have to worry a little bit about the pots freezing solid for long periods of time in winter, I brought mine in to defrost for 24 hours. Make sure they're not in too small a pot so as not to restrict the rhizomes when they're growing.
gdudey

Post by gdudey »

Thanks guys that's very helpful.

I wasn't entirely sure what I was buying at the time, I knew they were Fargesia of some sort but didn't know what size those varieties reached until I looked it up. B&Q's plant labelling leaves a lot to be desired.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Hah, I saw my first 'Banana Palm' in B&Q! :lol:
jacko

Post by jacko »

fargesia rufa will get to around 2m,6 or 7ft.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

so that one is fairly dwarf.
jacko

Post by jacko »

yep icon_thumleft