Mixing Bamboo Varieties?

Kristen

Mixing Bamboo Varieties?

Post by Kristen »

In planning my planting I was thinking of putting some Bamboo varieties next to each other - to hopefully get some contrast. Will that work, in practice, with clumping bamboos?

I was thinking of a black Phyllostachys nigra next to a P. aureocaulis for example, and a P. kimmei next to a Fargesia Super Jumbo

And I was going to plant a "row" down the middle of my island (i.e. to block being able to see across the island) of

Fargesia Pingwu
Fargesia murielaelae jumbo
Miscanthus zebrinus
GoggleboxUK

Re: Mixing Bamboo Varieties?

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I hope so because I've planted Shiroshima and Fargesia Vampire in the same planter.

I'm also intending to put P. Aurea and Fargesia Simba in the same holes in the ground later this week.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I have all of the above mixed together and they look stunning. dont be afraid to mix things up :) . karl.
grub

Post by grub »

All of mine are mixed, I even use some to contain others; for example, I've used Fargesia to contain Pseudosasa icon_thumright
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Thanks, glad that's going to work :)

Any advice on planting distance? (how big a clump will it make?) and whether I should stop being stingy and buy, say, 3 to make a big clump instead of one, or is singles better and plant 2 or 3 varieties as "neighbours" instead?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I like the look of neighbouring bambbos but what I think looks really good is a shorter boo like one of the dwarf Fargesia planted in front of a tall boo.

;)
jacko

Post by jacko »

mine are mixing with each other and it is looking interesting.ive got spectabilis coming up with fargesia robusta and chusquea culeo with a dash of vivax and a hint of aurea. :lol:
Simba

Post by Simba »

I have yellow & green varieties of Vivax growing alongside each other.

But I also like to mix up leaf size, and have a tiny leafed Thamnocalamus next to a Fargesia Wolong, which is flanked by another small leafed bamboo, Fargesia Juizhagou, which has Fargesia Scabridia to the other side.
Add a couple of nice foliage plants such as Fatsia or Schefflera, and its a pleasing look.... icon_thumleft