Phyllostachys bambusoides castillonis.

karl66

Phyllostachys bambusoides castillonis.

Post by karl66 »

I'm taking out the remainder of my conifer trees & was thinking of useing these planted every 2ft apart or so to create a nice hedge at the top but thick canes on show at the bottom?, how do people rate it?, i already got most of the other family members of phyllostachys inc large aurea, spectabilis, aurea autacaulis, nigra, plus a few i cant remember!!, i was also thinking of a bissetti but i think the castillonis would look more striking, i'd like to start off with about 3metre high plants in about 15/20 litre pots. karl.
greendragon

Re: Phyllostachys bambusoides castillonis.

Post by greendragon »

Wouldn't fargesia robusta be a better option at that planting distance for a hedge. The timber bamboos look leggy at the bottom and when mature the foliage starts above head height.
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

P. bambusoides castillonis is a nice bamboo but for a hedge I'd suggest P.bissettii is a better choice. It is much more vigorus and creates a dense screen in a relatively short space of time.
Andy
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Thanks andy, does the bissetti grow thick culms though, as eventually i would want to strip say the first 4ft & have nice bushy foliage on the top. karl.
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

The thickest culms on my P.bissettii are just under 2cm which has only been in the ground for a couple of years. I don't think they get any thicker than about 2.5cm even when fully mature. Maybe someone can correct me on that?
Andy
jacko

Post by jacko »

castillonis will take many years to mature its slower than other bamboos.bissetti would be a great screening bamboo but culms would be an inch or so.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Jacko, the the castillonis i'm thinking of getting are already 3metres high & very bushy so i would not be in any rush for them to grow bigger quick. karl.
jacko

Post by jacko »

go for it karl i think it will look stunning in a few years.its a nice bamboo to have.