Will these divisions be ok.

Delboy

Will these divisions be ok.

Post by Delboy »

Someone local to me is thinning out loads of bamboo, they have split them into small divisions as pictured below with the intention of ebaying them.
I can go and get some on the weekend if i want, do you think they will be ok?
i know the timing is wrong, but do you think they will survive.
bamboo.1 (Large).JPG
Various sizes available, my plan was to get about 15-20 divisions to pot up and forget about for a few years.

Is there enough rizome/roots on the ones they have already seperated?

Cheers

Del
Tom2006

Re: Will these divisions be ok.

Post by Tom2006 »

I would want to see them establish a bit first before buying/selling. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Thanks Tom,
The lady only wants a £1 each for them, so not much to loose.
Ive never seen single divisions before so just wondered if they looked ok.

She said she has a massive clump still to dig up so i may just get them to dig a bigger clump up for me, rather than the single divisions.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

single divisions are more risky, as if there are no further buds it just does not grow. Ask for a clump :wink:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Delboy »

That makes sense, thanks Dave.

I may also pick a few single ones up for a £1 a pop and experiment.
jacko

Post by jacko »

the ones on the left in the photo look more viable than the ones on the right.the bigger the rootmass the better your chances.what species is it,do you know?
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Yeh, I got a sent a couple similar to tah from a kind person on here.......althought they were a little bigger and they made it.
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

well i have first dibs so will pick the ones with the biggest rootmas.

Not got a clue what boo it is, its going into pots anyway so im not too fussed but will ask when im there.

thanks for the help chaps.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

is it a runner or a clumper?

i think clumpers do a lot better than runners with small divisions
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

Its arrow bamboo so deffo a runner lol, its going into pots so not a problem. Its one of my favourite bamboo but will definately not be planted. The guy i had it from has about 20 bamboo plants, inc a 7 feet tall arrow bamboo that is about 5-6 ft wide, he said its a thug popping up everywhere lol.

I had about 6 divisions, with 2 or 3 stems on each, plus pretty good rootmas on all but 2 (these 2 were freebies).
I also had a black bamboo that was a single stem division he took from another plant 12 months ago, it has 4 new shoots on it now, 7 ft tall for a bargain price of £3. He dug it out for me whilst i was there, he wanted a £10 but i told him that was too much so he said £3 lol.

Ive potted them up, got 4 pots of arrow and one pot of black bamboo, all for £13.....so not a big loss if they didn't make it but im pretty confident most will be fine.

The guy has a golden bamboo again he planted it in the ground with no barrier. Its been in the ground 3 years and he said its just starting to run. Its lovely, about 10 ft high, 4-5 ft wide and in stunning health.
He has been trying to dig it up but the rootmas is huge. If he gets it up he said i can have it for free. Altho tbh i don't think he'l get it out.....i took a look and its massive, solid as rock.

He's moving house, so decided to sell some boo before they move. I will get some off him if he gets anymore black bamboo up, or the golden boo as i want to grow some on in pots.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Del, you got some bargains there!, phyllosachys bamboos excuse the spelling do not like pots longterm & you will have bigger healthier bamboos if planted out. I Had some black & golden bamboos only about 5ft with about 5 canes in each and they were drying out like mad.
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

My golden and black bamboo that i bought earlier in the year were both sunk in the ground in bins.
The black bamboo has 2 new culms, the golden bamboo has around 15 new culms.

Im wary to plant directly into the ground so dont mind the extra watering to keep them happy.

I've got to admit tho that the ones ive seen planted NOT contained do look much much nicer.