Aborted culms.

karl66

Aborted culms.

Post by karl66 »

I have been really pleased with the vast majority of my bamboos, but was wondering what was the most common cause of failed culms. I've been checking a few of my vivax this morning & even though they have put out a few new culms i slightly pulled on about 3/4 emerging ones & they easily came straight out & were hollow/ rotten?, is this just a normal cycle. karl.
jacko

Re: Aborted culms.

Post by jacko »

yeah karl its normal,mine do it every year they seem to push out many culms only to have some or several to abort.for example my spectabilis produced about 70 culms this year and around a dozen aborted.nigra about 5 aborted,vivax 2 aborted etc.its an energy balance thing between whats underground versus whats above ground.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Agree with Jacko. icon_thumleft
paulrm71

Post by paulrm71 »

Would you assume that if the culms had emerged from the soil maybe an inch, and then hadnt moved for weeks on end, that they had aborted? My Vivax has thrown up four new culms which has reached up to 9 foot, but three have been stuck in the ground doing nothing.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

paulrm71 wrote:Would you assume that if the culms had emerged from the soil maybe an inch, and then hadnt moved for weeks on end, that they had aborted? My Vivax has thrown up four new culms which has reached up to 9 foot, but three have been stuck in the ground doing nothing.

If they are soft and hollow they have aborted. If they still feel hard then they may take off when it warms up. I had a couple at an inch for a couple of months last year before they shot up.