Phyllostachys bambusoides 'Castillonis'

kracker

Phyllostachys bambusoides 'Castillonis'

Post by kracker »

Yesterday i bought one of these a fine plant £15 a nice 8ft don't no much about them but doing some research this morning i found this it says that this plant is NO good for containers i was gonna go out and buy a plastic dustbin and plant it anyone got one and have they planted in a container cheers will http://www.uk-bamboos.co.uk/Detail-B/ph ... lonis'.htm
karl66

Re: Phyllostachys bambusoides 'Castillonis'

Post by karl66 »

Kracker, these are a lovely bamboo, i have about 10 large ones between 3/ 4 metres high, also the castillonis inversa has the opposite colour canes. All mine are planted out as you see them in all there crowning glory then. Bamboos in pots are a nightmare with the constant watering & worrying about pots freezing. karl.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

karl66 wrote:Kracker, these are a lovely bamboo, i have about 10 large ones between 3/ 4 metres high, also the castillonis inversa has the opposite colour canes. All mine are planted out as you see them in all there crowning glory then. Bamboos in pots are a nightmare with the constant watering & worrying about pots freezing. karl.

Tell me about it. They need watering more than any other plant!
kracker

Post by kracker »

Karl are pots freezing an issue the location im choosing is fairly damp so that would not be an issue im thinking sinking a dust bin with the bottom cut out but worryingly the pot it came in was one of those heavy duty ones that large palms come in and a runner had split through it so maybe flag stones i have had the two plants soaking since monday afternoon icon_salut icon_sunny ....will
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Who else is growing this variety?, i have standard castillonis & inversa & must say its the most rapid growing bamboo i've seen!!, yet most of the websites you visit say its mostly well behaved & shouldn't run :lol: , the way mines going i'll being buying it a pair of nike trainers soon!, it also seems to grow at a more eratic angle than other species & doesnt look like it will grow in a tight grove, the plus side is the canes are stunning looking & harden off very rapid. karl.
Neil Ziemski

Post by Neil Ziemski »

Hi
I have the inversa.
Mine looks scruffy-i wouldnt recommend it-but i do live up north and we have to be selective.
Not good for a pot-but very few if any bamboos will do well in a pot.
Best to plant and either control by root trimming -digging round the clump-or a barrier.
Good thing is bamboos root shallow-not like a tree, so with a bit of hard graft they can be controlled.
Regards
Neil
jacko

Post by jacko »

i have two bambusoides varieties and i find they are slower growing than other phyllostachys.maybe karl yours have put on a growth spurt because they have been unleashed from their pots into the ground.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Jacko, your theory fits with everything i've prievously read about them, perhaps because they were so rootbound they were desperate to escape!!, i'm just hoping they keep there leaf in winter as there acting as a screen. karl.
jacko

Post by jacko »

cold dry east winds are the one to watch in winter.i find if the temperatures get below -10C it can defoliate bambusoides types but they usually bounce back in spring.
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

yep. definitely not as hard as the vivax equivalents .... but lovely plants ... even in Northumberland!

My inversa is actually doing better than the std .castillion.

Laz
greendragon

Post by greendragon »

My gran has Nigra bamboo in a 110litre pot, it has 10ft culms and looks healthy. Still has lots of room for new culms too, although in september runners tried to escape the pot
AndyC

Post by AndyC »

karl66 wrote:Who else is growing this variety?
I've had one in the ground for a couple of years and it is already producing quite large culms (2.5cm x 4.5M) but still very tightly clumping. I love it.
Andy
karl66

Post by karl66 »

This is my first winter with castilonis & its the only bamboo so far this year thats lost lots of leaves & others turned yellow!. karl.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Mine is still in full leaf and looking better than it has all year.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

kris, all my other bamboos are also in full leaf?, mine were planted late so they may just be settling in. karl.