Potting mix for establishing bamboos.

karl66

Potting mix for establishing bamboos.

Post by karl66 »

Later this year i shall be removing some large clumps of various boo's, into various size pots & selling them on cheap to anyone who wants some. I will take quite a deep section out but whats the best mix to get them up & running!!, again?, i was thinking of john innes no3 & some sharp sand?, or to keep costs of resale down would they take ok in just normal compost?. karl.
Kerinsian

Re: Potting mix for establishing bamboos.

Post by Kerinsian »

Sorry I can't help with the question Karl, but would you also be willing to split off small postable sized sections when you do this?

I can't travel but would be interested in small amounts I could grow on myself if so. Thanks :oops:
jacko

Post by jacko »

they are not too fussed about which soil to use as long as its fertile and well drained.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Soil based is probably best but you don't have to buy John Innes, it is only a recipe; 7:3:2 loam, peat & sand (+ various amounts of fertiliser).

In such situations I generally mix half and half bagged top soil + peat based compost and then add in up to 1/3rd grit/perlite. I don't use sand because it holds too much water for something which is meant to add drainage (think about mixing up cement).

I am sure though that as jacko says, they'll be ok in just about anything so it depends on how fussy you want to be.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

ok cheers, not to fussy as its only a tempory home till there sold on. I always add small amounts of sharp sand as this does aid drainage, i think you might mean building sand which is a definnate no no!!. karl.
Vagetarian

Post by Vagetarian »

Sand certainly adds drainage to potting compost, no doubt about that. Sharp sand adds more drainage than building sand because of the larger particle size and likewise grit/perlite adds more drainage still for the same reasons.