Growing Phyllosachys in buried pots.

karl66

Growing Phyllosachys in buried pots.

Post by karl66 »

As i've got a few days spare i'm creating some more border's & have some spare 50/70litre pots down the garden. If i drill say 80% of the bottom of the pot out & sink into ground will the bamboo be able to take enough water out of the ground itself or will the sunken pots need to be watered a lot more. karl.,
karl66

Re: Growing Phyllosachys in buried pots.

Post by karl66 »

The other question is, do they not start to push themselves out of the bins/pots after a while as they would in a conventional pot.n karl.
Arlon Tishmarsh

Post by Arlon Tishmarsh »

Karl, i've used big square plastic recycle box's with the bottoms cut out for my boo's.Buried in the ground, the roots can get down and all the new runners have so far been contained and have been deflected upwards, making nice tight clumps. As they grow and need more room, i'll just slip the box's up 'n' over the boo's and replace with a wider barrier
Last edited by Arlon Tishmarsh on Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

My P nigra rhizomes attempted to jump over obstacles, like a concrete path, but as you almost fell over it you'd chop them off. In a pot/tub in the ground you need to keep an eye open for 'jumpers', as if you miss them for a season, it has escaped.

In my case the nigra won, as it went down about a foot, under the foundations of the 5 ft wide path, and came up in the border the other side. I was able to cut off rhizomes once they threw up culms, identifying where they were, but only finally got rid, when I smashed up and removed the path. There was loads of it under there, so would just regrow out as soon as you cut it off. :ahhh!:
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Ok thanks, im just preping holes at present as i'm taking sections off existing boo's in late september when they slow down, i've just drilled about 10 tennis ball size holes in the base's, do they need total cutting out?
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

karl66 wrote:Ok thanks, im just preping holes at present as i'm taking sections off existing boo's in late september when they slow down, i've just drilled about 10 tennis ball size holes in the base's, do they need total cutting out?
Any reason not to cut the whole of the bottom out of the container?