Fargesia jumbo/ campbell.

karl66

Fargesia jumbo/ campbell.

Post by karl66 »

I have both of these growing strong & in need of a small tidy up. Any tips on how to do this as the culms are thin & DELICATE!!. karl.
Mr List

Re: Fargesia jumbo/ campbell.

Post by Mr List »

i just trimmed my to shape liek a hedge/topiary
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

It really depends how olld the plants are. If ther'e young and quite small I wouldn't remove too much foliage.

However if they are well established you can be quite ruthless - take out up to a third of the culms - oldest first as these will tend to be the shortest with more congested branching. obviously dead or damaged culms should be taken out. Cut back as close to the ground as you can, It looks better whilst allowing more light to the base of the plant.

You can treat both the murieliae 'Jumbo' and campbell pretty much the same.

Mr List's suggestion is good too - fargesia's like robusta and rufa make good hedging material. I have a couple of hedges I'm messing with - and they don't look too bad.,, :)

Laz
karl66

Post by karl66 »

My fargesia Campbell is going quite strong at present but I fancy adding another to the collection, fargesia pingwu, what are the main differences in growing habit's between this one & Campbell?. karl.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I've purchased some more fargesia robusta/Campbell today, I've already got three grove's growing but I wanted some taller ones!, Because there clumping & not running boo's is it safe to assume they can be planted as a screen in my chammerop's hummilis bed?, they would only be a matter of 14/16 inches away?. karl.