Need help choosing bamboo .. Fargesia ??

Julia

Need help choosing bamboo .. Fargesia ??

Post by Julia »

I wanted to put a new fence. It's not ours to replace. But I wanted to put one up next to the old one. But him indoors doesn't seem keen on the idea now ?!! :( might be able to talk him round yet?
So I need a backup plan just incase!!!!

Hence bamboo!!! Well I was thinking of planting bamboo, but maybe not as tall as the one I've been looking at now!

I've been looking at the different types of Fargesia bamboo!
I like the look of the Fargesia Robusta :) They say it grows to 4m?!? Does it?
I would be planting near the fence as I would like some privacy and also keeping in mind I will need some tall plants in the background . But most of all privacy :)
Shall I plant more than one bamboo? Maybe a couple as don't really just want a bamboo hedge!!

Same or different types?

Also I shall put my banana plants in the border to give me some height. I understand it will take a few seasons to mature :)

Just thought of another question . Would it come up in next doors garden? It would be competing with the conifers?

here is my fence..
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... 16&t=17615
grub

Re: Need help choosing bamboo .. Fargesia ??

Post by grub »

Robusta would be a good choice Julia, it's well behaved and very quick to establish icon_thumleft
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

If you wanted to vary things a bit you could always plant an arching Fargesia in front and a straight one behind.

Fargesia Simba is a nice dwarf bamboo that grows to about 6ft when arched over.

;)
Adam D

Post by Adam D »

Fargesia robusta Campbell is a good looking bamboo and well behaved.

If you like the look of Fargesia try Fargesia scabrida as well.

They are said to be clump forming bamboos, but I have read that the clumps just get slowly bigger and bigger each year. They aren't going to run and spread like crazy, but in 10 years time you could be looking at a fair sized clump. I planted my scabrida 6 years ago, it was about 1 foot in diameter, and now the clump is 3 foot in diameter.
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Amulree has 50% off at present, and there are plenty of bamboos there. Make sure you get one in a generous sized pot - 10L or more (and that that is what you actually get sent!). They are generally around £30 (before discount); cost of carriage might be an issue, unless you fancy a drive over to Norwich (worth seeing Will Giles [Norwich town house] garden which is open on a Sunday afternoon, and whilst you are there Urban Jungle are close by too - they have a nice show garden, and plenty of plants on show / to buy, but worth visiting if only for ideas - their sale was quite a bit later in the year [last year])
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

Adam D wrote:Fargesia robusta Campbell is a good looking bamboo and well behaved.

If you like the look of Fargesia try Fargesia scabrida as well.

They are said to be clump forming bamboos, but I have read that the clumps just get slowly bigger and bigger each year. They aren't going to run and spread like crazy, but in 10 years time you could be looking at a fair sized clump. I planted my scabrida 6 years ago, it was about 1 foot in diameter, and now the clump is 3 foot in diameter.

I've had scabrida for about 4 years and although its one of my top fargesias with its black topped culms, its certainly the most aggressive 'clumper' I've come across! But to be fair - if left unchecked most of them will do the same over time.

Well worth the effort imo though ... icon_salut

Another option might be Fargesia nitida 'Juzhaigou. Better behaved,more upright and very colourful!

DSCF0091.JPG

Laz
Julia

Post by Julia »

Kristen wrote:Amulree has 50% off at present, and there are plenty of bamboos there. Make sure you get one in a generous sized pot - 10L or more (and that that is what you actually get sent!). They are generally around £30 (before discount); cost of carriage might be an issue, unless you fancy a drive over to Norwich (worth seeing Will Giles [Norwich town house] garden which is open on a Sunday afternoon, and whilst you are there Urban Jungle are close by too - they have a nice show garden, and plenty of plants on show / to buy, but worth visiting if only for ideas - their sale was quite a bit later in the year [last year])
I've been on this site and have seen the Fargesia NITIDA "Great wall"
And the Fargesia Robusta Pingwu. They are big pots. Should I split(half) the bamboo before planting ? Or plant as it is?
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Julia wrote:They are big pots. Should I split(half) the bamboo before planting ? Or plant as it is?
I asked a similar question a while back:
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=16275

If the pots are bigger than 5L it may well be worth splitting them.
Julia

Post by Julia »

Kristen wrote:
Julia wrote:They are big pots. Should I split(half) the bamboo before planting ? Or plant as it is?
I asked a similar question a while back:
http://www.hardytropicals.co.uk/forum/v ... =1&t=16275

If the pots are bigger than 5L it may well be worth splitting them.

Thanks for the link Kristen :)
If I've read that right. Then I'm right in thinking if I want them to gain their height quicker, I should leave as they are ?

The bamboos you divided, have you noticed them being slower to gain their height?
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Julia wrote:If I've read that right. Then I'm right in thinking if I want them to gain their height quicker, I should leave as they are ?
Yes, although depends how huge the containers are I reckon.
The bamboos you divided, have you noticed them being slower to gain their height?
In the end I didn't divide any of the 5L - 7.5L pots that I had. They were planted in early June and have put up some strong new culms (I would guess 3 - 5 per plant). For me this wet season has been a great growing season, so they may have established better than they would do in a drier year. Next year, and the one after that, will be the proof of the pudding :)

I did split a bamboo I bought off eBay in an oak barrel (into two halves) and that seems to be fine. I also bought a clump off Simba, and that had a runner with a couple of canes on it, and I split that off separately - but the main clump I planted as-one.

So if you have £X to spend and can buy them in the 50% sale at the moment, I would recommend that you buy twice as many plants, rather than splitting them, and I would not split anything in a pot smaller than, say, 10L (which is probably larger than you are likely to be buying which mostly seem to be 5L or 7.5L). I recommend that you do not buy smaller than 5L - and beware that if it is listed as 5L or bigger you might be shipped a smaller one (I was!) so perhaps state that you would prefer a substituted variety, rather than a smaller plant
Julia

Post by Julia »

Kristen wrote:
Julia wrote:If I've read that right. Then I'm right in thinking if I want them to gain their height quicker, I should leave as they are ?
Yes, although depends how huge the containers are I reckon.
In the end I didn't divide any of the 5L - 7.5L pots that I had. They were planted in early June and have put up some strong new culms (I would guess 3 - 5 per plant). For me this wet season has been a great growing season, so they may have established better than they would do in a drier year. Next year, and the one after that, will be the proof of the pudding :)

I did split a bamboo I bought off eBay in an oak barrel (into two halves) and that seems to be fine. I also bought a clump off Simba, and that had a runner with a couple of canes on it, and I split that off separately - but the main clump I planted as-one.

So if you have £X to spend and can buy them in the 50% sale at the moment, I would recommend that you buy twice as many plants, rather than splitting them, and I would not split anything in a pot smaller than, say, 10L (which is probably larger than you are likely to be buying which mostly seem to be 5L or 7.5L). I recommend that you do not buy smaller than 5L - and beware that if it is listed as 5L or bigger you might be shipped a smaller one (I was!) so perhaps state that you would prefer a substituted variety, rather than a smaller plant
I have placed an order :)
I've ordered one of the Robusta Pingwu it states its in a 10l pot
And one of the NITIDA "great wall" it doesn't say pot size.
I think it may be best to plant them as they are :)
Also ordered a Cordyline australis !!

Note to ones self!!! I'm must stop ordering plants!! Lol
Nahhhhhhh :lol:
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Julia in the words of the late Michael Jackson "Don't stop til you get enough" :lol:

Make sure you keep your bamboo's well watered especially when they are still in their pots, once in the ground keep them well watered too, a dropping bamboo is a sorry sight.
Julia

Post by Julia »

Trudytropics wrote:Julia in the words of the late Michael Jackson "Don't stop til you get enough" :lol:

Make sure you keep your bamboo's well watered especially when they are still in their pots, once in the ground keep them well watered too, a dropping bamboo is a sorry sight.
Trudy, wise words :) I have a large border to fill, so I'm guessing I'll be spending a lot more ;)

Ok thanks. I'll keep it well watered :)