Bamboo Autumn Care

fieldfest

Bamboo Autumn Care

Post by fieldfest »

I understand that autumn is the time to feed your bamboos as they start putting their energy in to the roots at this time of year, whats the procedure for getting HHUUUGGGEE culms next year?

My current plan is to buy some bags of manure and pile that on them- is this sufficiant, or what could be done to give them more?

thanks icon_study
blue thunder

Re: Bamboo Autumn Care

Post by blue thunder »

You don't want to buy manure Dave when you can get as much as you want for free out at Marks corner at the stables. Theres a hole in the hedge with a sign there saying help yourself, just take some your empty ballast bags and fill em up.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Especially for you....

Adam D

Post by Adam D »

I use the manure/compost route, but I also like to add a little extra and in the past I have used the Palm Centre's bamboo fertiliser, but they stopped selling that and one dark February evening I discovered this stuff:

http://www.potandgrass.co.uk/ecom-prods ... liser.html

The shipping per kilo gets cheaper as you buy more, so I bought about 8 kilos of it :P

Should last me a while...
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

blue thunder wrote:You don't want to buy manure Dave when you can get as much as you want for free out at Marks corner at the stables. Theres a hole in the hedge with a sign there saying help yourself, just take some your empty ballast bags and fill em up.
Barb would never go in the car again
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Thanks Kris, going to feed mine today then, thanks for the reminder icon_thumleft
fieldfest

Post by fieldfest »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Especially for you....

good good, manure and blood fish & bone-thanks
Trudytropics

Post by Trudytropics »

Done icon_thumleft
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

won't bonemeal root builder be good to use to fatten the rhizomes up?
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I have been collecting the fallen leaf cases and sweeping them back amongst the bases of the culms and throwing in chicken pellets since the end of July. I will be using liquid organic fertiliser (a local farm sells this for 50p a litre, it's basically just liquid that runs off the manure heap) starting in a few weeks time and continuing the pellets too.

I didn't bother protecting the pots last year and all froze through on a few occasions but didn't seem to suffer. Dragging pots into a sheltered position close to the house seems to be enough for Phyllostacys Aurea and all my Fagesia species looked after themselves too.
Darlo Mark

Post by Darlo Mark »

A normal winter won't bother them too much as long as you don't live too high above sea level. It's only when the pot freezes for more than a couple of days ( a la 2010) that this will be a problem as I found to my cost.
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

rhs says to water with lukewarm water when pots freeze
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Not sure mine need anything after their wild growth this year! :lol: But I will soon be heading down for some bags of rotted manure for my bamboo and plenty of bark mulch. icon_thumleft
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.