ID bamboo please

Julia

ID bamboo please

Post by Julia »

I don't know if you remember that i said i had ordered some bamboos, well they arrived today.
My problem is, One had label attached the other didn't!! :(

One should be a Robusta Pingwu and the other a NITIDA "great wall" ..
Could you tell me which is which.. I have a feeling they have sent me a wrong one :(

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-imag ... .jpg[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/url]

[URL=http://imageshack.us/photo/my-imag ... .jpg[/img]

Uploaded with ImageShack.us[/url]
rufc15lizzie

Re: ID bamboo please

Post by rufc15lizzie »

Its hard to tell. Robusta pingwu will have larger leaves and look glossy. Pingwu has all canes green to yellow. So i would say the first picture is the robusta.
But the leaves on the second picture look of similar size and a nitidia should have quite small leaves. Greyish green in colour and would look incredibly small sat next to a robusta pingwu.

Post by Julia »

Sorry i meant to say. The second picture (bamboo) is labelled as NITIDA "great wall'
But is the first one what I asked for?? :(
This is the one with the missing label !
rufc15lizzie

Post by rufc15lizzie »

To be honest I'm not sure, hopefully someone else can answer your question.
Pingwu canes are normally quite dense and full.
How tall is it? Ive been led to believe its quite difficult to find and buy a tall Pingwu, unlike wolong or p king.

Post by GoggleboxUK »

The leaves remind me of Phyllostacys but all mine aren't that mature so I might be wrong.
Neil Ziemski

Post by Neil Ziemski »

Hi
The first is a Robust methinks.
The older culms are yellower (a word ?) and the sheaths on the newer culmns give it away.
Neil
jacko

Post by jacko »

yes the first one is fargesia robusta whether it is the pingwu variety you'll have to wait till it grows a bit to see how much bigger the leaves are to say a fargesia robusta campbell variety.
Lazlo Woodbine

Post by Lazlo Woodbine »

Yep ,first is robusta 'Pingwu' much greener culms than std robusta ie: campbell ... the nitida is labeled correctly... :wink:

Laz
Julia

Post by Julia »

Thanks everyone :)

I also emailed the company that I received the plants from. They were very happy to help. They ID the boo for me and are happy that the correct one was sent out.
So I'm a happy bunny :)
It was the first time i had used this company and Im really pleased with my order and their customer service was very good :D