new to bamboos and it just gave me a work out

jacko

Re: new to bamboos and it just gave me a work out

Post by jacko »

yes karl spectabilis is well, spectacular :lol: the misting and greyness in those photos are old culms.that grove looks very mature, been there for years by the looks of it.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

about 15 years acually. its really hard to find small canes to move to my property but I'll be digging in march and trying again with some power tools. Id really like to have some of that spectabilis. the only yellow cane bamboo I have dosent have any other color on the cane but that photo you put up jacko looks amazing
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

:D I just keep getting lucky I guess. I decide to take the back roads to avoid the, I think you call them bobbys, or cops on my way home and in the dead of night I spot a patch of snow covered bamboo on the side of the road. I stop and look at it and its seems to be the same type as the other grove but with much smaller canes and alot better to dig..I would say some of the good canes are 5-6ft high. one of the smaller ones even has the zig zag in it already. I'm oing to go back in the day light to look it over really well but I think I will be taking ALOT of this patch since its technically no ones property icon_cheers pics once I return
jacko

Post by jacko »

remember it could be a completely different species :lol: thats the trouble with a lot of bamboos that have similar colouring,hard to identify.great find though mike.look forward to see the pics.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Finally went back and picked up some of the new found bamboo patch..just a shovel and some trimmers and it about killed me. I will post better pics tomm I am just to tired. I think it is the same type as the other though. ended up with a good bit though, a truck load anyway. I estimate it at a few hundred £ worth anyways

this is the strange part some of the culms had a very tight clumpin of branchs and IDK what caused it. I kind of liked the look so I took a few of them as well. any idea what causes this so they don't spread out?