picked up some new bamboo today

miketropic

picked up some new bamboo today

Post by miketropic »

Found a guy who was semi local and had alot to offer at very resonable prices. I pick up these although the names escape me at the moment. I will have to email him to get the names.for all 4 clumbs I only paid £22 so I was happy. have the names tomm but here are pics. feel free to guess the type I will know for sure in a few hours what each one is.

this one is suppose to be very yellow in spring with green marking on the leaves dosent get very tall and a runner

my personal fav pick up from today with the white marking in the leaves, ground cover running bamboo

wish I could have got a few large culms of this but no way to haul it. yellow culms get very tall runner

short bush type only get about 5 ft tall. very very large leaves running type

all are hardy for our winters here. look forward to planting some more soon
Mr List

Re: picked up some new bamboo today

Post by Mr List »

the first one looks just like one i have in my garden that i recommended to you in a different thread.

Pleioblastus aureacomlus

is great but hasn't grown a lot for me this year so i would wait until they build up some speed before doing the cut back each spring method.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I am waiting on a email from the guy to get the correct names for each one. it has been about 10c for weeks now in the day and for some reason this weekend it has been 21c so I planted out 2 of them yesterday as soon as I got them and need to find a good spot for the other 2 today. having a hard time with the white one since I figure it can't take alot of sun with leaves like that. just dont know where to put it
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

I got all my ID's anyone going to take a shot at some ID's before I post em?
Mr List

Post by Mr List »

1-Pleioblastus?
2-hiroshima?
3-phyllostachys?
4-sasa?
Half Hardy

Post by Half Hardy »

I am going to try 1.pleioblastus viridistriatus 2.sasaella albostriata or shiroshima.3.phyllostachys aurea 4. sasa palmata.
tropicalwon

Post by tropicalwon »

Nice selection..............my guesses are:

1......Pleioblastus Viridistriatus

2......Pleioblastus Variegatus

3......phyllostachys aureocaulis or Castilloni

4......Iidocalamus Latifolius or tessellatus
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Pseudosasa japonica (big leaf bamboo)
Phyllostachys aureosulcata aureosulcata (yellow cane bamboo)
Plieoblastus viridistriatus (yellow leaves with dark green stripes ground cover bamboo)
plieoblastus fortunei (ground cover bamboo with green and white variegated leaves)

now these are the ID's I was given, I looked them up and they seem to be right but with bamboo I buy what I like so the ID's don't really matter but I do try to keep up with what I have incase I ever sell/give some away I can give a honest ID. nice work on the id's guys
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

a guy at work said his mother has some bamboo she brought with her from the philippines and I can come take some divitions if I want. he said it gets very dark brown cains so I am guessing its Nigra without looking at it yet