Grass I.D.

karl66

Grass I.D.

Post by karl66 »

I have noticed lots of tall almost bamboo looking grass growing/ thriving especially in winter time around here. It almost looks like a giant white feather duster!!, the only other grass i have is zebra so not really up on these, any one put a name on it & price/availability?. karl.
miketropic

Re: Grass I.D.

Post by miketropic »

are you talking about pompus grass. extremly tall with a big white feathy top on it? somtimes there seen in pink as well. look up pompus grass photos and see if thats it. we have them over here as well I acuall have some seed for them I will sow in the spring.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Bull rushes? Photo required methinks.
flounder

Post by flounder »

Pompus grass :lol: Love it Mike!
I'd say Pampas, cortaderia. Thats showing the plumes about now
edit
Re read the post. Not Pampas, not quite bamboo like. How about Arundo?
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

flounder wrote:Pompus grass :lol: Love it Mike!
I'd say Pampas, cortaderia. Thats showing the plumes about now
edit
Re read the post. Not Pampas, not quite bamboo like. How about Arundo?

hey it was 3 am here I had a long day forgive me :lol:
karl66

Post by karl66 »

I'm sure its pampus grass, anyone on here grow it?, what times of year can it be planted?. thanks karl.
miketropic

Post by miketropic »

Ive grown it over here but I have always had a starter plant. this is the first time I got seed since I moved and didn't want to try and take it with me. I'll be here awhile so I fugred I would start over. I know it gets alot hotter over here but I have seen the plums as tall as 20 ft. and the clump about 5 ft wide ( at our local greenhouse ). I have only had the white kind but I know there is a pink kind as well. It overwinters here with just cutting it back to ground level after frost.

I would read up on the "urban legends" of this grass in the UK..very funny to me being from the states. you guys are a bit wild over there :lol:
flounder

Post by flounder »

miketropic wrote:I would read up on the "urban legends" of this grass in the UK..very funny to me being from the states. you guys are a bit wild over there
Don't believe all you read Mike :lol:
Pampas was the 'in' plant in the 70's and 80's around this way, I don't think people realise just how big it can get
Delboy

Post by Delboy »

When I moved in here there was a huge pampass grass, about 7' high and 6' wide.
I had to attack it with a spade it was so big, it had been here years.

It died later that year in THAT winter, but we had -21. Saying that others round here survived, So it was probably a combination of me hacking at it and then the cold that was too much.

I'd have another but don't really have the space.