Qiongzhuea tumidissinoda "Chinese Walking Stick"

Simba

Qiongzhuea tumidissinoda "Chinese Walking Stick"

Post by Simba »

Anyone growing this bamboo...?

I have a couple of questions to ask other growers.
How deeply do the rhizomes tunnel and what depth would you dig in a barrier to contain them..?

I know it has a reputation for being rampant, but wonder how long would it take a small clump to expand into an area of 8ft x 4 ft..?

And does it grow upwards at the same rate of knots that it grows outwards...?

Thanks,
Kev.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Qiongzhuea tumidissinoda "Chinese Walking Stick"

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

I've seen in someones garden and it seemed to be going all over the place.
Simba

Post by Simba »

Kris, mine is currently planted in an 8ft x 4ft box, but I am considering moving it to a larger contained area, and allowing to to spread naturally within those confines.

But someone on GOTE reckons the rhizomes will dive 6ft or more to get under a barrier.
Seems a bit extreme to me, is there any evidence of it actually doing this I wonder...?
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Sorry can't help with that one.
JBALLY

Post by JBALLY »

Could you not just put a barrier lining the bottom of the planting box, could be as simple as some paving slabs laid in the bottom with no gaps and drill holes for drainage or even a permeable tree root barrier or a layer of compacted hardcore then block paving bricks laid butted up together as water will drain easily but the roots will not penetrate if there are no gaps.
jacko

Post by jacko »

ive been looking it up and i dont think the rhizomes go that deep,just the usual spade depth.if you keep the the topsoil/mulch rich enough the rhizomes wont want to plunge deeper.
grub

Post by grub »

I've always fancied this one but don't think it'll be hardy here :(
Simba

Post by Simba »

jacko wrote:ive been looking it up and i dont think the rhizomes go that deep,just the usual spade depth.if you keep the the topsoil/mulch rich enough the rhizomes wont want to plunge deeper.
I agree with you, this is what I reckon too Jacko.

What strikes me about digging in a rhizome barrier, is that if you apply a little logic, you realise that you don't actually have to dig it in more than 12 inches at most, for it to be fully effective, even with the most vigorous bamboo.

Think about it, the penny will drop.... :lol:

Anyway, I am going to move it from the safety of the secure 8x4 box to replant into a larger bed, where I will sink rhizome barriers round the edge, giving it much more room to expand into.... icon_thumright
jacko

Post by jacko »

thats fine simba,as for hardiness i dont think i could grow it here in mid wales but you, in essex probably could.-13C it says.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Regarding dardiness it's hardier that Chusquea gigantea. In Simon's Sheffield garden, Chusquea was hit really hard by 2010 but the Q t was still looking good in 2011.
Simba

Post by Simba »

I have seen it growing very well in Nottingham, and the Roding's have a massive stand, but I don't remember seeing it anywhere else....Which is why I have to keep mine and give it a prime position... icon_thumright
Palmer

Post by Palmer »

Hi Simba, I’ve had Qiongzhuea tumidissinoda planted for 10 years in my north facing front garden and I’ve found it a slow growing bamboo, the runners are not too far from the surface so to keep it under control I chop around the plant once year with a spade and pull all the runners up.
Last year I chopped all the canes down then let it regrow again, maybe the conditions I grow this boo in stop it going rampant!