Grass cuttings

Tom2006

Grass cuttings

Post by Tom2006 »

I saw on GW's the other week about a bamboo grower who covers his phylo's with a deep mulch of grass as it not alone at nitrogen but also generates warmth to aid growth. I'm going to try it, but was wondering if anyone else already does?
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
Neil Ziemski

Re: Grass cuttings

Post by Neil Ziemski »

I also watched this and plopped the grass on yesterday
Hopefully it will help
Neil
Tom2006

Post by Tom2006 »

Neil Ziemski wrote:I also watched this and plopped the grass on yesterday
Hopefully it will help
Neil
I just need my grass to grow so I can get some. :lol:
Most wanted list - Any Young Trachycarpus and/or fern.
kata

Post by kata »

Lots of gardening on this morning,

I just watched A2Z of gardening. Its Beecgrove now.

icon_cheers
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Post by Dave Brown »

:lol: Read this a proping grass from cuttings :lol: Was going to say seed is easier.

Doesn't compost material lock up nitrogen while decomposing :?: I can understand using it to retain moisture,
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by cordyman »

I always use an absolute pile of banana leaves before winter when i'm wrapping them up. Mulch all the bamboo bases and come Spring they've all rotted down, judging by how many culms are coming up today they seem very happy icon_thumleft
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

Obvious point: but just a reminder not to use grass clippings after you have put Weed & Feed, or similar, on the lawn. Most particularly Verdone Plus (probably others too) as the herbicide in that will persist for ages, and even composting for 6 months or so won't denature it (same family of chemicals as caused the problem with Horse Manure a few years back)
cordyman

Post by cordyman »

Kristen wrote:Obvious point: but just a reminder not to use grass clippings after you have put Weed & Feed, or similar, on the lawn. Most particularly Verdone Plus (probably others too) as the herbicide in that will persist for ages, and even composting for 6 months or so won't denature it (same family of chemicals as caused the problem with Horse Manure a few years back)
may affect those with greenthumb treatments too ;)

Also can grass cuttings "take"

only when I had my old flymo heap of junk, i'd get a lot of grass growing in the borders, and I put it down to stray clippings rooting
grub

Post by grub »

My mowings have always gone on the bamboo, I was told it was the true secret to growth.