Rhodocoma Gigantea

SueW

Rhodocoma Gigantea

Post by SueW »

I've just planted one of these babies. I know they're part of the restio family; I wanted a bit of a screen and some movement in the back garden. The plant's pretty small and I wondered if anybody here grows it? What do you think of it and how fast does it grow?
Cheers! Sue
fgtbell

Re: Rhodocoma Gigantea

Post by fgtbell »

It is pretty slow for me, but I keep it in a pot and that may be slowing it down. It reliably puts out two or three new culms per year. I does get a bit burnt by frosts, not badly, but again I wonder if the damage slows it down a bit. That shouldn't be such a problem where you are - the gardens at Tremenheere have fabulous restios, they really look healthy (and huge), and that is only a few miles from you.
SueW

Post by SueW »

Well I wondered if the Rhodi would survive the appalling wind and rain we've had this year but it seems to be thriving! icon_cheers Still smallish but nice and bushy and several new shoots coming up strongly. It's very squidgy underfoot in that part of the garden at the moment; in fact the wet has taken my sedum Autumn Joy down to the ground (although that's showing signs of life again...must move that to the arid front garden).
Pic of the Restio Rhodocoma Gigantea:
Attachments
restio.jpg
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

I wouldn't mind planting that where there is a dead patch in a knifer hedge.