Phyllosachy nigra.

Adam D

Re: Phyllosachy nigra.

Post by Adam D »

bordersboy wrote:
Adam D wrote:
bordersboy wrote:Long dead thread maybe but thought i`d add my 2p worth.
Mine have had a good year. They are 2 medium potted 8ft ones that have greened up nicely with many leaves but only a few spindly culms. This ok cos bought as rescue jobs in homebase for 5 intead of 50 quid.Had plenty food and water this year so fingers crossed for 2014.

Small 3 footers have now become 8 footers with 4-5 new culms in each tomato plant sized pots. Again plenty food and water last year must have helped them and the same again this year will help them again for next year.

Just need to start looking for straw bales to protect them through winter.
Do you really think that you need straw bales for them?

My one has survived in the ground for 10 years with no protection and I can't believe that our winters are that different in terms of duration and severity.
Yeh I need them or loft insulation with 8 inches of dry leaves on top.
I lost many large plants in pots in those recent harsh long winters but the in ground bamboos were ok just well set back.
So from then on as I like my big plants in pots I bunch them together against a south facing wall surrounded by straw/insulation with dry sycamore leaves on top.
The borders to dumfries and north northumberland can be freezing for weeks on end hence the extreme protection methods
Ah! You're talking about straw bales for the ones in pots.

I thought you meant straw bales for the ones in the ground, sorry.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Re: Phyllosachy nigra.

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

[
Mine have had a good year. They are 2 medium potted 8ft ones that have greened up nicely with many leaves but only a few spindly culms. This ok cos bought as rescue jobs in homebase for 5 intead of 50 quid.Had plenty food and water this year so fingers crossed for 2014.

Small 3 footers have now become 8 footers with 4-5 new culms in each tomato plant sized pots. Again plenty food and water last year must have helped them and the same again this year will help them again for next year.

Just need to start looking for straw bales to protect them through winter.[/quote]

Do you really think that you need straw bales for them?

My one has survived in the ground for 10 years with no protection and I can't believe that our winters are that different in terms of duration and severity.[/quote]

Yeh I need them or loft insulation with 8 inches of dry leaves on top.
I lost many large plants in pots in those recent harsh long winters but the in ground bamboos were ok just well set back.
So from then on as I like my big plants in pots I bunch them together against a south facing wall surrounded by straw/insulation with dry sycamore leaves on top.
The borders to dumfries and north northumberland can be freezing for weeks on end hence the extreme protection methods[/quote]

Ah! You're talking about straw bales for the ones in pots.

I thought you meant straw bales for the ones in the ground, sorry.[/quote]

So did I. I lost a P nigra in a pot a couple of years ago. Too cold for too long.