Weak Arundo donax

chrismc

Weak Arundo donax

Post by chrismc »

Just wondering how everyones Arundo is doing this year. Ive only had mine 2 years but even now my biggest blade is only about a foot? what the secret here (my Miscanthus is already 6 foot so somethings going right there)

icon_scratch
Dave Brown
Site Admin

Re: Weak Arundo donax

Post by Dave Brown »

I don't have one now as they don't do dry and lost the 2 I had. They really want swampy ground
Best regards
Dave
icon_thumright

Post by Delboy »

Ive tried 2 and lost them both, both plain and varigated. I would like to try another but dont have the space now.
harryc

Post by harryc »

Mine is struggling along, sending up spindly shoots. It got hammered in 2010 and I lost a fair bit of the main rootball.

Like Dave said they really need to be treated like bamboo,loads of water + heat.

H
Kristen

Post by Kristen »

My Arundo donax has sent up one shoot this summer, That is strong and tall, but if it doesn't send more up I can't see it surviving.

The variegated next to it has a dozen shoots, but they are all only a foot tall, or so.

I'll try giving it a lot more water, thanks.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

There one on a compost heap near me that grows to 8 foot easily each year. I guess they like a lot of food too!
flounder

Post by flounder »

They do like a lot of water. Mine would probably be about 3ft high now, but the dog grazes on it :roll:
No, it's not poisonous before someone calls the RSPCA icon_salut
multim

Post by multim »

Mine do really well and they shouldn't. Apart from being in a sheltered spot, they get no water unless in rains. As the image shows, they are right in the top corner of the garden and must be their usual 10 feet or so and this time. For example the fence is 2 metres high.
Arundo Donax July 2013
Arundo Donax July 2013
Attachments
Looking up.
Looking up.
chrismc

Post by chrismc »

Thats awsome ...if ever you want to cut this back think of me...i'll take a chunk!
Mick C

Post by Mick C »

Mine is a feeble this year, about half a dozen spindly shoots around the edges of the clump - the tallest still only 2 - 3 ft high.

Nothing from the centre - are you supposed to divide it up every few years? Looks like hard work.

I suppose it wouldn't hurt to feed and water it more.
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

Mine haven't done so well this year either, so it must be down to the weather. I grow four different varieties of Arundo and I have some in the ground and more than I can count in pots, due to obsessive propagation! I once saw them for sale as pond plants, so that gives a clue to their water requirements.
multim

Post by multim »

I chop out root sections each Spring so will try to remember to keep some back for those who want some.
huporhaha

Post by huporhaha »

Mine didn't do NW Highlands after Cornwall. Too cold in winter and not warm enough to grow in summer ------ had some spindly spicimens until 2010 - then zilch - deaddo - deceased - no more..........
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

Mine have done great really...
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
Carrie

Post by Carrie »

After all the lovely rain, my Arundos are sending up lots of new culms :D