Creating a bamboo hedge VIDEO

GoggleboxUK

Re: Creating a bamboo hedge VIDEO

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Yorkshire Kris wrote: If they all die or go weedy then I'll run naked across the Prestival Festival. Some extra info is that I've added 6 inches on
:shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TMI Kris!
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Nice to cause a bit of debate. :) Some extra info is that I've added 6 inches on new neutral tope soil on top of the original soil under the conifers plus I might just kill off the conifers. icon_rambo icon_rambo
I feel your pain :ahhh!:

I had to put up with ugly 30ft+ conifers for 5 years until they were eventually cut down.

Now stuff actually grows on that side of the garden icon_cheers
Conifers

Post by Conifers »

GoggleboxUK wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote:Yes the Conifers do over hang some of the bamboos. I have cut most of the conifer foliage back but I can always chop it back further. Cheers I had not heard that acidic point before. icon_thumright
If it's not too much work or expense Kris I'd be very tempted to put a 2ft deep waterproofroot barrier along the base of the fence to stop any acidic runoff bleeding through into your border. Something like builders plastic membrane would do the job.

Everything I planted in those wooden beds died apart from the Boo and Papaver. Even acid lovers like Magnolia, Photina and Acacia couldn't handle it.

Better to put the effort in now and be sure rather than lose everything you intend to put in there I'd say, especially as your garden seems to have a high water table.
Kris asked me to look in here - the conifers won't be any problem for the bamboo. They very commonly grow together in the wild in China and Japan with no problems.

As an aside, the popular belief in the acidity of run-off water from conifers is a myth. It's simply not true.
Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

GoggleboxUK wrote:
Yorkshire Kris wrote: If they all die or go weedy then I'll run naked across the Prestival Festival. Some extra info is that I've added 6 inches on
:shock:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

TMI Kris!

You have a way with words! :lol: :lol: :lol:

As an aside, the popular belief in the acidity of run-off water from conifers is a myth. It's simply not true.
icon_sunny