Creating a bamboo hedge VIDEO

Yorkshire Kris
Location: Rural South Wakefield, Yorkshire Lat 53.64 Long-1.54

Creating a bamboo hedge VIDEO

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

This video shows how a bamboo can be divided and used to create a bamboo hedge/screen.

Neil Ziemski

Re: Creating a bamboo hedge VIDEO

Post by Neil Ziemski »

They look close to the fence.
You might lose a few culms over the other side!
They might establish quicker if you remove some top growth as well.
Always wise when the rootball is hacked apart like that.
I would have loved a bamboo hedge but its far too windy here on the coast so I used laurel instead!
Neil
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Neil Ziemski wrote:They look close to the fence.
You might lose a few culms over the other side!
They might establish quicker if you remove some top growth as well.
Always wise when the rootball is hacked apart like that.
I would have loved a bamboo hedge but its far too windy here on the coast so I used laurel instead!
Neil

The other side of the fence is full of bricks and rubbish and much darker and drier to unlikely to get much growth on the neighbours side. I will keep them well watered and will cut back if need be icon_thumleft .
fern Rob

Post by fern Rob »

It should look good once established, and add a great backdrop to the other tropics.
karl66

Post by karl66 »

That will look great when established kris, you wont get any the other side as it's to much of a tight growing clumper, as regard's hacking :roll: , you've done nothing wrong as this is how boo's are separated!!, fargesia generally does take time to settle before putting on any height, through personal experience though phyllosachy castallonis makes a better hedge as it has a mass of side shoots that soon lock together. karl.
Neil Ziemski

Post by Neil Ziemski »

karl66 wrote:That will look great when established kris, you wont get any the other side as it's to much of a tight growing clumper, as regard's hacking :roll: , you've done nothing wrong as this is how boo's are separated!!, fargesia generally does take time to settle before putting on any height, through personal experience though phyllosachy castallonis makes a better hedge as it has a mass of side shoots that soon lock together. karl.
The trouble with bamboo is - behaviour can vary greatly.
I have seen a mature robusta here in East Yorkshire with a single specimen producing culms 50 to about 80 cm away from the original plant ( it could easily go under that fence)
Also fargesia settles far quicker than phyllostachys here.
Adding to that I have had a castillonis for a few years and it does nothing and what it does do it gets badly wind damaged, it's the last I'd choose for a hedge.
I think that's bonkers, it's such a difficult plant to predict, far too many variables to predict what it will do, like sun, wind, soil, shelter etc etc..
Neil
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

I couldn't tell from the video Kris but are the conifers overhanging your garden?

Apparently, any water running off the greenery on the conifers will become extremely acidic and can arrest growth of whatever is planted beneath it.

I had this problem with 6 small Fargesia 'Simba' plants that I had in raised beds. They looked like this when originally planted

And like this after a year

and after 6 months in pots then 5 months in the ground they look like this

Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

GoggleboxUK wrote:I couldn't tell from the video Kris but are the conifers overhanging your garden?

Apparently, any water running off the greenery on the conifers will become extremely acidic and can arrest growth of whatever is planted beneath it.

I had this problem with 6 small Fargesia 'Simba' plants that I had in raised beds. They looked like this when originally planted

[ Image ]

And like this after a year

[ Image ]

and after 6 months in pots then 5 months in the ground they look like this

[ Image ]

Yes the Conifers do over hang some of the bamboos. I have cut most of the conifer foliage back but I can always chop it back further. Cheers I had not heard that acidic point before. icon_thumright
karl66

Post by karl66 »

Neil, I have a fantastic hedge forming from castillonis so the variables must be great!!, also never had a fargesia budge more than 2inches from original grove?. karl.
Neil Ziemski

Post by Neil Ziemski »

karl66 wrote:Neil, I have a fantastic hedge forming from castillonis so the variables must be great!!, also never had a fargesia budge more than 2inches from original grove?. karl.
Exactly, very different from what others experience with the same bamboo.
That's the problem you see, it's difficult to say what works for you to grow castillonis, and for that to work for others.
It's too complicated a problem for us to offer suggestions for others that will work for all.
Neil
GoggleboxUK

Post by GoggleboxUK »

Yorkshire Kris wrote:Yes the Conifers do over hang some of the bamboos. I have cut most of the conifer foliage back but I can always chop it back further. Cheers I had not heard that acidic point before. icon_thumright
If it's not too much work or expense Kris I'd be very tempted to put a 2ft deep waterproofroot barrier along the base of the fence to stop any acidic runoff bleeding through into your border. Something like builders plastic membrane would do the job.

Everything I planted in those wooden beds died apart from the Boo and Papaver. Even acid lovers like Magnolia, Photina and Acacia couldn't handle it.

Better to put the effort in now and be sure rather than lose everything you intend to put in there I'd say, especially as your garden seems to have a high water table.
allangreenbean

Post by allangreenbean »

I find it difficult to settle any boos unless they are potted.

I have 'great wall' and they have performed best in pots in a north facing location close to the house. Hardly any direct sun so they never seem to dry out.

In the sunny back garden as soon as it gets a little dry the leaves curl and only substantial rain can fix it.

Clay soil, too wet in winter and too dry in summer ;(
The Codfather

Post by The Codfather »

No bamboo barrier's ????
AKA - Martin

Wish list - Big Palms or Dicksonia antarctica's but open to anything really.....Cash Waiting !
jacko

Post by jacko »

my robusta is 5 years old and has a base diameter of nearly 2 metres so maybe it would be best moving them further in from the fence.my fargesia jiuzhaigou was planted around the same time in 2008 and was too close to the fence and i never moved it.it is now an untidy semi circle because i have to constantly prune culms and rhizomes coming up behind and too close to the fence.i wish i had moved it when it was young.you have to envisage what it will look like in 5 years time as a guide.hope this helps.
Yorkshire Kris

Post by Yorkshire Kris »

Nice to cause a bit of debate. :) In regards to where I've planted mine close to the fence, like I said before, on the other side is just rubble and concrete foundations to a summer house so no worries with the bamboos spreading that way. I'm also happy for the bamboos to encroach on the lawn in time.

GB, regarding the conifers and acidic run off it's not something that I've really considered. Bamboo is sort of like a grass and grass has grown fine in the area where the bamboos are now planted so feel quietly confident that they will be ok. If they all die or go weedy then I'll run naked across the Prestival Festival. icon_pirat Some extra info is that I've added 6 inches on new neutral tope soil on top of the original soil under the conifers plus I might just kill off the conifers. icon_rambo icon_rambo